Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need Suggestions On a New Filter

tnicholl95

Reaction score
I'm looking in to new filters and and i cant seem to find the right one. I have 2 juvenile axies ( about 3 - 4 inches) in a 10 gallon tank at the moment and need a filter that wont put out too much power. Although, i will be upgrading to a 20 - 30 gallon tank in the near future so it would be nice to be able to transfer this new filter over as well. I'm looking for a HOB for now maybe even a sponge, I like the look of this fluval aquaclear for 10 - 30 gal tanks but i still need another persons opinion. Even if it is too powerful could i create something to slow the current?

Fluval AquaClear Power Filter - Power Filters - Filters - PetSmart

I am still open to any suggestions and feedback, I'm not really too educated on filters and it would be nice to hear your opinions as well as knowledge on the subject. Thanks!

layna

Reaction score
I dont have much knowledge on filters either and i didnt want things outside the tank taking up much space ect so i just went with an internal corner filter, it works fine for me and only cost £20 so can easily be replaced, i added a sponge filter in there too just to help with the cleaning, ect.

I heard people mention canister filters a lot and say they are good for axies but im not really sure what they are :confused:

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
Canister filters are just the filters that go inside the tank, rather than hanging on the side. The best kind of filter that you could get that would work with both a 10 gallon and a 20-30 gallon is a medium-sized HOB that has an adjustable outflow rate. The kind I have on my tank right now is a Topfin 20, which will cycle up to a 20 gallon tank, but I have it set up on a 10 gallon, with a very low flow rate. It works just fine for my purposes and the outflow current is low enough that my axolotl actually ENJOYS laying under it.

layna

Reaction score
Canister filters are just the filters that go inside the tank, rather than hanging on the side. The best kind of filter that you could get that would work with both a 10 gallon and a 20-30 gallon is a medium-sized HOB that has an adjustable outflow rate. The kind I have on my tank right now is a Topfin 20, which will cycle up to a 20 gallon tank, but I have it set up on a 10 gallon, with a very low flow rate. It works just fine for my purposes and the outflow current is low enough that my axolotl actually ENJOYS laying under it.

I always thought they were just called 'internal filters', i might have a canister filter then, but wiki says canister filter are the ones that sit outside the tank and a pipe feeds the water to it then back to the tank? :)
My one inside the tank does the job anyway and thats whats important :p

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
I always thought they were just called 'internal filters', i might have a canister filter then, but wiki says canister filter are the ones that sit outside the tank and a pipe feeds the water to it then back to the tank? :)
My one inside the tank does the job anyway and thats whats important :p

"Canister filter" can be used for either type. The kind you read about on the wiki is the one that is (sometimes) suctioned to the side of a tank, and is connected to an air pump.

Speaking of which, that type of canister filter might be a good idea, too. Only problem with one of those is that the air pump makes a bit of noise unless you set it on a towel or a piece of foam.

SariYappa

Reaction score
Ater a lot of research, I finally chose the eheim classic canister filter.
Eheim Classic Canister Filter with Media - 2211
This one sits outside the tank, but is tall and thin, not taking up too much room. They have an awesome reputation for filtering for more than 20 years.

It has it's own built in pump, is known for its whisper quiet operation, and you can change the types of mechanical filtration you use :D
(I sound like a commercial!) :p

I get it in the mail this week. Once I set it up, I'll probably do a little review on it :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1