Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My axolotl has pink spots

Terryndonita

Reaction score
I don't know where to begin :(

Ok so I had a tiny axanthic axolotl for 2 months. He was about 2 months (4 inches) when we got him. We struggled to get him to eat for the whole two months. He passed away a few days ago.

I have two more lotls, one lucy and one gfp mel (we think) both a little less than 5 months old. They are both eating and acting normal. There has been no change in them except my little Pinky (the lucy) now has some red spots on her. Tiny little red spots. Not raised bumps, nothing else is out of the ordinary, as I said activity level and appetite are same as always.

Some people look at the photo and tell me nothings wrong. Some are screaming infection at me. Going to a vet is not really an option for us at this time.

So it was suggested to me to treat them both (separately) with T.C. Tetracycline for a few days. And to pretty much do a deep clean on my tank. Like mega water change, pull all decorations, plants, and hides out and scrub everything (which we do once every two weeks as it is).

I am really looking for advice and opinions of some experienced lotl owners! Because at this point I kinda just want to cry!

I cannot figure out how to add a photo to this post :/

kumamon

Reaction score
Hi! I noticed you posted this a little while ago. Are your axolotls still okay?
I have a couple other questions, do you know what the water parameters are? How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?

I hope all is well,
Chloe

Biev

Reaction score
Water parameters are always the place to start! Ammonia and nitrites can cause redness - best to make sure they aren’t in cause before suspecting bacteria or viruses. Hope the little ones are doing alright!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1