Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to Raise Alkalinity

levi14

Reaction score
So I got my little guy about a week and a half ago, and he's perfect. He has so much personality; he's active, social (he'll eat out of my hand), doesn't hide much, and is eating great.

I did a 25% water change three days after I got him
I did another 25% water change two days later (this time with a siphon to clean up the floor)
I did a 50% water change five days later

I let the tank cycle for about 3 weeks before I got him, and the test strips showed everything to be perfect.

I tested it after his most recent water change (about 18 hours later), and the strip showed that the alkalinity was too low. I read online to dissolve baking soda in water and add that, but I wasn't sure if that was safe for axolotls.

I never let uneaten food sit at the bottom of the tank, and I use Seachem primer with tap water as directed from where I got him.

What is a safe and effective way to raise the alkalinity a smidge?

I plan on doing about 50% water changes weekly, but I honestly have no clue if that's good. I have seen about a thousand different suggestions for how often to change water, so any advice would be great.

We appreciate it! :)

ellenc

Reaction score
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is the best and safest alkalizing agent for axolotls. That’s what axolotl researchers use. The Caudata Culture section has info about artificial pondwater salts levels.

Viking

Reaction score
I am wondering why is the Ph dropping? Most tap water in this country is hard. You need a coating of calcium in your pipes to protect you. Acid water adds metals like lead to your water.

It is hard to cycle a tank without a source of ammonia to feed and grow the bacteria. Most put a small source to start the tank cycling.

If you want to keep the water hard add limestone rocks. Their are some newts that need very hard water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!