How to Raise Alkalinity

levi14

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I got my little guy about a week and a half ago, and he's perfect. He has so much personality; he's active, social (he'll eat out of my hand), doesn't hide much, and is eating great.

I did a 25% water change three days after I got him
I did another 25% water change two days later (this time with a siphon to clean up the floor)
I did a 50% water change five days later

I let the tank cycle for about 3 weeks before I got him, and the test strips showed everything to be perfect.

I tested it after his most recent water change (about 18 hours later), and the strip showed that the alkalinity was too low. I read online to dissolve baking soda in water and add that, but I wasn't sure if that was safe for axolotls.

I never let uneaten food sit at the bottom of the tank, and I use Seachem primer with tap water as directed from where I got him.

What is a safe and effective way to raise the alkalinity a smidge?

I plan on doing about 50% water changes weekly, but I honestly have no clue if that's good. I have seen about a thousand different suggestions for how often to change water, so any advice would be great.

We appreciate it! :)

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is the best and safest alkalizing agent for axolotls. That’s what axolotl researchers use. The Caudata Culture section has info about artificial pondwater salts levels.

I am wondering why is the Ph dropping? Most tap water in this country is hard. You need a coating of calcium in your pipes to protect you. Acid water adds metals like lead to your water.

It is hard to cycle a tank without a source of ammonia to feed and grow the bacteria. Most put a small source to start the tank cycling.

If you want to keep the water hard add limestone rocks. Their are some newts that need very hard water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back