Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Red Eft and possible limb rot/missing toe.

Infernite385

Reaction score
Hey you guys! I’m very new to this forum and a new owner to a rescued wild caught Red Eft. Recently I think they had what I believe is referred to as a “bad shed” as it took about 5 days and the skin came off in chunks, the trunk and head shed came off quick but the skin on the tail and feet stuck around for longer. Sadly the shed on their back right foot is still there and has blackened, I do not know whether I should let them remove it themselves or intervene?

Additionally, in one of their forelimbs they seem to have lost a toe. The site seems to be a glossy reddened (inflamed) looking color and has a bit of a white tint on the “stub” where he finger was. So to me, it definitely seems infected. Any thoughts or recommendations?

To put icing on the cake, for the 3-4 weeks I’ve had them I haven’t visually observed them eat. I have offered cut up worms, wiggling in their face. And I introduced springtails as well as flightless fruit flies to their vivarium. They are flourishing and it is possible they are eating them as I haven’t observed significant weight loss.

If any additional information is needed I will provide it, I simply want to help my animal.

caudated

Reaction score
What species are these? Notophthalmus viridescen? Elf are difficult to maintain. I've never had that skin rot situation occurs in newts before but I did have it occurs when I had reptiles. As far as treatment, I would use a cotton swabs and try to remove as much of the dead skin/ dead tissues as possible but don't force it. I would move the elf to paper towel and keep it moist, closely monitor it. Elf are resilient, and as far as feeding goes, poking a worm on their face seem to be the most successful. For my elf, I usually move them to a special tank that set up like this. A bottom layer of sphagnum moss, a layer of coco husk, and a layer of garden soil. Top it off with terrainium mosses and leave litters. Keep it super moist and put black worm in, regularly check them to make sure they're alive. That's all.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!