Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How to start an axolotl tank?

Axy

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is what I plan to do before getting my axolotl... i've never had one before so i'm really quite excited:

TANK- Either...
Get the TetraArt 60l tank and sell the heater that it comes with.
Tetra Aqua Art Aquarium Kit 60l
Get the Viaaqua 90l (Ar620)
Viaaqua Ar620 Aquarium
Get the Arcadia Arc 35l
Arcadia Arc Tank 35ltr Aquarium Kit
I am aware that room temp is fine, it's usually about 17 where my pet-to-be is going to be kept. Also, I know that no light is required, or use of a light means lots of hideaways. :D I think thats right, anyway...

Then, I will cover the bottom with sand and large pebbles. (I won't insult your intelligence by giving you a link, but i assure you i will not grab them from my back yard). Then I will get this little plant on driftwood thing:
Microsorum Pteropus On Wood - Small
and this coccave:
Cococave With Microsorum And Anubias

Then, I will fill my aquarium with water and add some Aquasafe (Tetra) to get rid of chlorine and chloramine; and Safe start, to start the cycle. I will buy some testers, and wait until I see a nitrate reading, and then add my little Axie.
Et voila, am i doing anything wrong?

Thanks in advance, I'm eternally sorry about the length of this question, but i'm worried that i'll fail miserably.:eek:

Axy

Reaction score
Yeah it comes with an 'EasyCrystal Filterbox'
No idea what that is...
Cheers for replying so fast :)

Axy

Reaction score
Just did some research, looks like its the Tetratec EasyCrystal FilterBox 300, that's 40-60l :D it might be bulky, it says it has room for a heater in it, might sell it and get one of those stingray ones :happy:

Axy

Reaction score
I'm really sorry anyone who answers this as well, but do you think a stingray 10 (up to 50l) or a stingray 15 (up to 75l) would be best, because I know a single axolotl will only produce solid waste that can be taken out with a net, and they like still water anyway.

iChris

Reaction score
most solid axie waste can be scooped out with a net or the like, but a filter that turns over the tanks water a few times a hour is preferable, one one that has a adjustable outlet is a plus too as axies don't like lots of water movement.

The river pebbles are a no no in my books, waste will collect between the pebbles and dispite your best efforts to siphont the muck out, it will build up and mess with your water chemistry. Sand or not having a substrate at all is preferable, I chose the latter.

zoezakella

Reaction score
TANK- Either...
Get the TetraArt 60l tank and sell the heater that it comes with.
Tetra Aqua Art Aquarium Kit 60l
Get the Viaaqua 90l (Ar620)
Viaaqua Ar620 Aquarium
Get the Arcadia Arc 35l
Arcadia Arc Tank 35ltr Aquarium Kit

Then, I will cover the bottom with sand and large pebbles.

Hi Axy,

Well nice to see you have done a lot of reasearch, sure your axie is going to be very happy!

Only 2 pieces of advice I will offer you is the longer the tank the better as axies can grow up to 30cm so the arcadia arc 35ltr is to small.

Also sure you have read this but if you do put large pebbles on the sand make sure they are much bigger than an axies head as they wil swallow anything that fits in their mouth!

Anyway any other questions just shout and be sure to post some piccies when your tank is set up as we would love to see them, especially the coconut hide, that looks cool! :happy:

Axy

Reaction score
Thanks for that! Yeah, I will definately post some pictures up :D
And yeah, I've decided against the Arcadia because it will be too expensive to change the aquarium, and once i've sold the heater, i will have spent around the same price for the TetraArt 60l, give or take a tenner. :rolleyes:
Finally, one more question...:eek:
I would like to choose the colour of my axie, i'd like a leucistic (are they the white and pink ones with black eyes, or are those albinos?) :happy: and i'm not sure where I can get themin the UK.

Axy

Reaction score
images

Here's a picture of the type i would really like

mewsie

Reaction score
You're right Axy, thats a leucistic - Albinos have pale eyes :)

Cute eh. Can't help you with any local sellers, I'm afraid, but when I was looking, I just googled exotic pets, and phoned round lots of places until I found some. 60 miles away, but I found some!

Good luck :) Sounds like you are well prepared!

zoezakella

Reaction score
Axy,

Good places to look for axies is on the for sale section on this website, preloved & even ebay. There is also exotic pets online they have them or phone around your local pet shops thats what I did to source all my colours.

I found loads of sellers on preloved so good luck :)

Glad you have sorted the tank always best to start big as I have upgraded my tank 3 times since I got my axies less than a year ago as its nice for them to have the space :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1