Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stressed but cant work out why

haysmith999

Reaction score
Hi,
My axolotl is about 5 months old, 5.5inches long and has been fine in the tank up until yesterday. I have changed nothing in the tank in the last few weeks.
Yesterday i noticed the very tip of the tail was curled, I monitored overnight and when back from work today the tail tip is curled and the middle gills curved forward so I feel she is stressed about something.
Yesterday I checked the water, temp 18.6c, PH is about 7.6 (which my tap water is also), Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates was rather high at about 70/80. I have done a 50% water change yesterday and about a 30% today, which I used a dechlorinator for.
Behaviour seems fine, still eating (bloodworms and 3mm pellets) and no excessive swimming, i have seen her come up to the top for air twice but nothing more.
The tank is 10 gallon, has hiding spots, a sand substrate, no light and a filter which has been in there for the last 2 months without issue.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Could it just be the nitrates?

Any advice would be great, thanks :)

Hayleyy

Reaction score
You can post some pics of the gills and tail if you want us to see. Everything sounds okay, maybe check that there isn't too much water flow as that can cause gills to curl forward

haysmith999

Reaction score
Thanks for replying.

The filter has been the same for last 2 months. Could it be more of an issue as she grows? I’m planning to get a bigger tank in may.
She seemed ok this morning, did have 3 poops tho last night.
I’ll keep monitoring and upload pictures if I can later on when I’m home

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!