Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plants for "cold water" tank.

FRANCOIS

Reaction score
Heloooo,
I am keeping a pair of P. ruber in a fairly cool tank, 60F or less and will keep getting the temp down... what plants do you recommend for such temps? I want plants that are available, will do well and will keep growing at such temps. I already do have some but not all of them seem happy.
Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

otolith

Reaction score
I've had good luck with java moss, java fern, anubias sp. and cold water variants of anacharis/elodea in tanks that got around 50F during winter. Certain species of anacharis/elodea die off when temps drop, I've found it better to buy them from outdoor fish pond suppliers rather than from aquarium stores. The types sold for outdoor use seem to be a lot hardier. Growth in anubias and java fern definitely slows when temps drop but I've never had any problems with plants dieing off.

Molch

Reaction score
hornwort, Elodea, Shinnersia rivularis, Vallisneria spiralis, Sagittaria subulata, and java fern all do well in my tanks at 55-60 F. Also Rotala rotundifolia, though it grows a bit slow. Myriophyllum might work too.

FRANCOIS

Reaction score
I have some of the plants that you guys are listing, indeed they work well.... will look up the others! Thanks a lot to you both!

megs

Reaction score
Fontinalis would also look great under these conditions, Potamogeton species, Ludwigia repens, Cardemine lyrata and many others.
Martin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1