Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best food for daphnia?

Bunny1994

Reaction score
So my axies recently laid eggs so I've bought some daphnia to try & start my own culture. So far I've been feeding them dried active yeast & I was wondering if that was alright as a staple for them?

Bunny1994

Reaction score
Thanks both of you I'll definitely be having a look. I'd have never thought to use milk! Might give that one a try!

MnGuy

Reaction score
I cultured daphnia indoors for awhile using yeast and spirulina powder. It was a little more work than I wanted to invest.

I put the 5 gallon bucket of daphnia outside and it has thrived for 3-4 years with no care from me. They feed on algae that grows inside along with plant debris that fall in. I live in the Midwest of the USA, so I don't get to use them in the winter when the bucket freezes, but they are plentiful come spring and summer. I don't know how they survive the bucket freezing. I live in Minnesota, which can get as cold as the arctic on occasion!

I would highly recommend starting an outdoor culture if you have the space (don't need much), and can set out a bucket without causing any safety risks to children and pets.

Good luck.

Viking

Reaction score
I find green water is the easy way to feed them. Put used aquarium in well lit container and it will turn green. Outside is easier the green algae will start new cultures easily.

Daphnia breed very rapidly from just a single female. One Daphnia can breed and clear the water in a ten gallon in two weeks. Once you get a culture have several backups if it crashes. A container with with is enough for a back up. I have a concrete cattle tank that I use for a pond. They come back every spring. I also keep culture inside during winter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!