Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Pseudotriton montanus floridanus OR Pseudotriton ruber?

ntny

Reaction score
Hello Folks
Need some advice.
i was looking for Plethodontidae family species and i come across now
Both Pseudotriton montanus floridanus (Rusty Mud) and Pseudotriton ruber (Red Rubber)
i have no experience with these rather unusual species
may i know which is easier to care for?
i read Pseudotriton montanus floridanus may come from Northern Florida? maybe it can tolerate higher temps and easier to care for? i am currently keeping all my sallies in a fridge at about 15-23C
i have search this forum and it seems Pseudotriton ruber needs very very cold temp and not so easy to keep species?
thanks and cheers!

ntny

Reaction score

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a friend who keeps ruber in an aquatic tank with a bunch of broken clay pottery and a floating island. They breed for him all the time. He keeps them in his basement.

ntny

Reaction score
Hi Otterwoman
thanks for advice again. :D
may i know if these Pseudotriton likes very very cold water. i searched in this forum some folks here keep them very cold at 10-15C :wow!
i am actually very interested in Pseudotriton montanus floridanus(Rusty Mud). they seems to come from Northern Florida and Georgia area perhaps slightly warmer temperatures are ok for them? even though they are not so brightly colored as P.rubber they maybe tougher and easier to maintain and breed. can i keep 1 pair in a 10 gallon tank?
thanks

I have a friend who keeps ruber in an aquatic tank with a bunch of broken clay pottery and a floating island. They breed for him all the time. He keeps them in his basement.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, his basement temps seem to do the trick. I don't know how warm his basement gets in the hottest of summer. I also keep my newts in the basement but in the summer my basement has gotten up to 70 on the worst of hot days, so I have AC down there now for those days. They live in streams which are usually pretty cold. Common sense would suggest that the more southern newts could stand warmer temps, but take into account the elevation where they're found- that could negate the warmer temps of those states. Not that Florida is known for it's mountains LOL. I'm not sure where exactly their range is, so do a little research, and try it out, and then you can post about it and add to our collected salamander knowledge!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1