Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Care?

Blue Spotted

Reaction score
So I'm planning on getting the regular blue colored Axolotl baby from a store called Alsips Nursery. Anyway, I know how to feed them and everything because I've had pet blue spotted salamanders as pets before, and I'm guessing you just feed the Axolotls earthworms. But what I really want to know is can you keep one Axolotl in a 10 Gallon standard U.S. size? Also, it seems that the axolotls at the store are healthy except that a few have their front foot chewed off, but it grows back, right?

Possum63

Reaction score
Hello :)

I'm not familiar with the "regular blue coloured axolotl"?? But regardless of colour, their care is the same. Best diet is indeed earthworms with the occasional treat to mix it up.

I'm not familiar with US gallons or what size a 10 gallon would be but I always recommend no smaller than 60cm x 30cm for an axolotl. And that is the absolute minimum that I would recommend and this would be for only one axolotl.

Yes they do regenerate (except on the very rare occasion they don't) but if your axy is in a healthy environment then he should regenerate easily.

A great website to visit for newbie axolotl owners is axolotl.org. It has all the basics of providing a healthy and happy home for your axolotl :happy:

Possum63

Reaction score
If you mean by high ground to top of the tank, it's fine, and if you mean by high the shortest distant between the two sides (AKA width) then it's also fine. 20inches across as in the longest side is a bit short in my opinion. It's okay for juvies but when the axy is fully grown it will need bigger. Also, when looking for tanks with axolotl it's better to have a large surface area over a deep tank since they are bottom dwellers.

I personally have a 36" (longest side) x 15" (shortest side) x 14" (deep or top to bottom) tank and it houses two decent sized axolotl (8").

Possum63

Reaction score
Perfectly fine. A lot of people do it. Just make sure you wash it thoroughly before use and also sift out the larger particles :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!