Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Selling Young Axolotls

lilsquid

Reaction score
Hello!

I am new to the "breeding" side of axolotls and happened to come home a few times to some large clutches of eggs. I was wondering if I could get some advice on selling some young axolotls I have raised. I didn't have the heart to toss the eggs my axolotls laid so I have raised a brood (hatched around June 11) and I have another I am raising (hatched August 4). They also had another clutch in July but that clutch didn't make it. The oldest ones are around 3 cm in length and GFP leucistic/normal leucistic. I'm looking for advice on:

• What size do I begin selling/shipping?
  • What is a good price? I do not want to over charge for the babies but also do not want to make it easy for "bad owners" to get ahold of them.
  • What are your suggestions for shipping?

I have a general idea on some answers to these questions from my research and reading forums on here but I would really appreciate some more input from my following amphibian lovers!

Mom is a GFP Leucistic and dad is a "blue gill" leucistic! They seem to be breeding once a month and a very fat and happy axolotls!

Eternie

Reaction score
People generally start shipping them around 2 or 3in. and most definitely when they have all four legs.
Leucistic are normally like $25-$35 and GFP are usually $5 more than what the normal are.
I hope this helps! :)
Good Luck!!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1