Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: No poop in over a week?

honeydew

Reaction score
Hi all! I usually feed my axolotl (a bit over 7 inches long) 1 nightcrawler every 2-3 days. 8 days ago I accidentally fed him two (don’t ask how lol, stupidity) and ever since then he hasn’t pooped. His behavior seems to be normal- he floats sometimes but can go to the tank floor if he wants, he shows no physical signs of stress and he definitely still has an appetite. I’ve been trying to avoid feeding him since then but he nips at the air when I come close and I caved and gave him a small amount of frozen bloodworms yesterday which he ate with no problem. Am I worrying too much or should I take action? I don’t want to stress him out by fridging him when he doesn’t seem bothered, but I wanna make sure he’s safe!

honeydew

Reaction score
Sorry for double-posting but I realized there’s some stuff I should clarify- his tank is bare-bottom so no issue with gravel or sand, and I doubt he’s been eating it because he’s handfed and I’ve never seen him go longer than 4 days without it showing up. I’ve also been checking under all his hides and such and there’s no signs of walked-through poo.

Kitan

Reaction score
I am really glad your 'lotl started pooping! I just wish someone had replied to your message since I am curious as to if this is normal! I havent found any poop my from my little guy in a few days, but he is not showing signs of stress and is eating just fine. My suspicion is that he has pooped in his cave, which I dont really want to move; I want him to feel like his cave is a good safe place. Oh well! Tank clean tomorrow, so I will know either way!

landonewts

Reaction score
My two axolotls don’t really poop all that regularly. And then, at last, there is a fairly epic poo event! I was really worried about it at first, but they are super healthy otherwise. The one I raised from a baby has always been that way.

Cgilliam9x19

Reaction score
?? i love that other people freak out over their babies as much as i do ?*♀️?*♀️ at least im not the only one

AMurry24537

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation right now! Nothing has changed food-wise and he has been acting very normal (certainly still has his appetite!) and showing no stress signs, but it's been about 9 days since he last pooped and he usually poops every two or three days. I thought that maybe he suddenly started eating it since I know some do that, but he never has before

AMurry24537

Reaction score
UPDATE: I was just doing a quick water change and, after pouring in the new water, well, I noticed some dust...yep, he pooped. Somehow, he pooped behind/underneath the filter in a spot that I have no idea how he even got it there. I have a sneaky pooper. It's still not as much poop as I would usually expect from him in over a week and a half, but at least it happened!

Unfortunately, there are new particles EVERYWHERE and I have to do another water change.

TLDR: somehow he pooped in a basically impossible hidden place, but yay, he pooped!

leomleite

Reaction score
Well, in my personal experience, that's not an issue. Mine only poops one a week, or even once for a two weeks period. Of course, when it comes it's HUGE and really messy! :kill:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!