Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Leg bleeding, axie turning white...

S

skylar

So my axie had a huge red leg, so the vet decided it was best to chop it off. Now, the stump is bleeding (it didnt before, that was about 5 days ago).. and my normally very dark axie is greyish, and all of his legs are almost white. could this be cause he is in a black container in the fridge? the fridge is at 7 degrees. Should i continue sant baths or bring him to the vet to be euthanased? He seems like he is really suffering
sad.gif

C

charlie

Is it the axie in the photo? I'd definitely continue with the salt baths and fridge and encourage him to eat.
Remember that in the fridge he'll cool down a lot and skin colour will change. Pedro was a completely different colour when he was in the fridge, went a lighter white and his skin seemed almost translucent, plus he went pink at times too.
They'll be a lot more sedate in the fridge and for a while after they're back in the tank.
Personally I'd do everything possible to avoid euthanising them, but I'm not that much of an expert.

kapo

Reaction score
Our wildtype usually quite dark on sides went very pale grey along her sides and legs when she was in the fridge; other than that didn't seem to be a prob. Our leucs go an almost pasty white when in the fridge. I agree with Charlie - continue with salt baths.

S

sharn

im not sure if salt baths would be good on a bleeding wound? i mean putting salt on a cut hurts for us... might be something ed or joan could answer.

if its legs are abnormally white it might be its slime coat? ive never had my wildtype in the fridge so i cant help you on that one.

dont give up, people give up too easily when half the time they can save the animal!!! good luck and ive got my fingers crossed for ya!

al

Reaction score
I dont know if it is practiced, but a petrolatum base antibiotic ointment was recommended in the past for amputated stumps. I don't know if this practice is recommended anymore, and have not had to amputate legs in a long time myself. As far as stopping bleeding, the axolotl wound should stop bleeding unless there is a cellulitis (tissue infection) in the wound. Salt baths (mild) should not "burn" and will assist in regaining homeostasis. If bleeding is a continued concern, the stump may need to be tied off with a suture, or even plain silk dental floss. If you continue doing what you are doing he should be fine unless the infection is on a greater scale.

S

skylar

Thanks for your help people
happy.gif
Would aloe vera help or is it poisonous to axolotls? there is quite a bit of tissue coming off his leg in the fridge.. the wound just looks so bad
sad.gif

I'm doing 2 teaspoons per litre of salt at the moment, is this okay? i have a cut on my finger so i tested it to see if it hurt in the salt and it didnt at all so hopefully its the same with the axies!

His legs are back to the normal colour which is good. And charlie, no it's my very dark wildtype, not my yellowish one
happy.gif
I hope the fact that he's very small won't make recovery difficult (he's maybe 7cm long)

K

karen

It's great that you have a vet there that knew enough about Axolotls to take the leg off! Have you phoned the vet up and told them your concerns?
It's good that his colour has come back, Axolotls are probably like anything else in that respect, blood loss usually does cause skin to become paler.
Goodluck I hope that he makes a quick recovery
happy.gif

S

skylar

He just said continue with the salt baths, and that there's not much more i can do other than that. I just hate being so helpless when they are hurt or sick
sad.gif

J

jojo

sad.gif
i know what you mean Skylar, its horrible not being able to do anything.

He said to just continue with salt bathing? Does your axie freak out as soon as the wound touches the water?

These things take time though, hang in there.

C

charlie

Sharn - I'd expect the salt to be good for a wound.I know that growing up my mother (nurse) always encouraged me to get in salt water if I had a cut or wound. Helps it heal and so on.

And I would think that provided your axie gets through the bleeding, the fact he's young and smaller should count in his/her favour for regenerating the leg/foot.
happy.gif

S

skylar

No he doesn't although he's a bit more active in the salt bath than he is in just normal water. It probably isn't too comfortable for him, cause their skin is so sensitive.. but hey, it's for his own good!

S

sharn

good to hear hes doing better skylar! lets hope for a speedy recovery

(Message edited by Ed on March 06, 2006)

S

skylar

but yeah. anyways, he ate 2 whole earthworms while in the fridge today, and is doing heaps better and not floating upside down which is a good thing!! what's the best temp for axie recovery? my fridge is at 7 degrees (my mum refused to raise the temp of the fridge above 3 degrees, so they bought me a little bar fridge for the axies which i took the light out for so they dont get shocked, i hope this makes a difference?)

(Message edited by Ed on March 06, 2006)

S

sharn

wow, lucky you! parents buying you a fridge just for your axie lol. id say 7C is a great temp! good to hear hes eating now, sounds like hes definatly back on the right track!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!