The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 7th December 2005   #1
charles

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Would a liquid cooling system from a computer be of any use?
I'm not that sure how they work but I'm assuming that either running pipes thru the tank/filtration system with the coolant contained in the pipes or having it run to use the actual tank water would work?

Any ideas on the viability of this? the cost?

Old 8th December 2005   #2
jeff

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i wouldn't try that, I would sugest buying a small fridge or a used one and running pipes though that, at least a 6 foot coil to cools the water as it is pumped through. The only thing is that you have to drill holes in it, but you can plug them later if you decide to not use it.

Old 13th December 2005   #3
charles

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I use a mac so I haven't had much experience with liquid cooling, but it was something that came to mind. Might be time to steal someones water cooler maybe....

Old 13th December 2005   #4
Andy Baker
(andrew)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: andrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hmmm. I think you may be wasting your time.

PC CPU's produce about 50-100 watts of heat. And these water cooling kits are able to (using ambient temperature to cool their radiator) reduce their running temperatures to only a few degrees above ambient.

So i think you will find that you will not be able to bring your tank temperatures below room temperature using any kind of PC cooler other than thermoelectric (also know as peltier).

andrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
(cooling, tank), work

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 24th February 2020, 14:57 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.