Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Various Axolotl questions

kiwi32

Reaction score
Hi,
So since thursday I made my second try to get an axolotl.The first one,I had to return it because it was not eating(that was 8 months ago).
Now it looks pretty nice in my 15 gallons!It's a wild type,he is eating is bloodworms nicely.
But I have a few questions:
1-How do you feed and clean uneaten bloodworms?I did give one at time,but it was so long I ended up putting the whole pack and then using my syphon cleaner to remove them.
2-Also,I want to use caplets because they are easier to use.However,they looks too big for my small axol,he did tried to eat it but just went away after 2 min.How can I make it eat some?
3-I bought an automatic feeder that can dispense 1 caplets twice a day.Will my axolotl come to get the caplets if he is at the other side of the aqua?Is it a good idea to put a flat rock under the feeder?
4-My axolotl isn't really active,just spending is time not moving on the bottom of the tank.Still he looks heatly,no curved gill,I just wonder if axolotl are always like this.
5-Do ligthing really disturb them?I am planning to light up my 2x 25w bulb most of the day in the canopy,can this pose a problem?My temp is controlled with a chiller tough.
6-Just to be sure,if everything goes well I was planning on getting another one in a month.2 is not too much for a 15g?
7-Also,can I put a plecostamus with it or they may fight?
Thank you for all you advices!

Last edited:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
How do you feed and clean uneaten bloodworms?I did give one at time,but it was so long I ended up putting the whole pack and then using my syphon cleaner to remove them.

You can try the jar method where you rinse and defrost some bloodworms in a jar. Fill it up with tank water and gently lower the jar into the bottom of the tank. Try running the edge of the jar opening against a side of the tank wall as you lower to minimise bloodworms being swirled out. You should be able to achieve a jar full of bloodworms that will be contained within the jar for the axie to be feed.

You can also try the syringe and plate method. Fill a 5ml syringe with a long nozzle with defrosted bloodworms. You can then inject a small volume each time into their mouth/feeding dish.

Alternatively you can feed the axies in a separate tank. A turkey baster of siphon is a must for after feeding cleaning up of uneaten food.

I generally defrost 1 or 2 cubes of bloodworms per axie.

2-Also,I want to use caplets because they are easier to use.However,they looks too big for my small axol,he did tried to eat it but just went away after 2 min.How can I make it eat some?

It takes a while for axies to accept pellets. Some axies may be coaxed into accepting them whereas others may not accept them for the rest of their lives. Occasionally, an axie that accepts pellets may go off the pellets altogether suddently. The best thing is to do is to offer a variety of food types.

You can also try dropping the pellets in front of their faces or waving it about with a pair of forceps in front of them.

Try feeding your axies at dawn or dusk as that is when they are most actively feeding.

3-I bought an automatic feeder that can dispense 1 caplets twice a day.Will my axolotl come to get the caplets if he is at the other side of the aqua?Is it a good idea to put a flat rock under the feeder?

You can put a flat rock or a shallow feeding dish under the feeder. I don't recommend a feeder though. Firstly, the axie does not need to be fed daily. Overfeeding can cause obesity and more likely foul the water with the excesse uneaten food. You want to be able to control the food you offer, in terms of quantity and quality. Axies can over time associate particular spots or devices as food related and as such would go over to feed.

4-My axolotl isn't really active,just spending is time not moving on the bottom of the tank.Still he looks heatly,no curved gill,I just wonder if axolotl are always like this.

Yes thats normal.

5-Do ligthing really disturb them?I am planning to light up my 2x 25w bulb most of the day in the canopy,can this pose a problem?My temp is controlled with a chiller tough.

Some limited light exposure is good actually. Just ensure the light is low wattage and doesn't produce excessive heat. Always provide plenty of hiding spots for shade. You can automate the lights to come on for 6-7 hrs daily. This is particularly important if you have live plants. Light plays a role in regulating certain cycles. Decreasing photoperiod for eg is proven to stimulate breeding.

6-Just to be sure,if everything goes well I was planning on getting another one in a month.2 is not too much for a 15g?

If you maintain the tank well, especially with water quality, 2 axies will still be ok, particularly if your axies are small to medium sized. A filter will also make things easier. You want to make sure there is enough surface area after discounting hiding spots and such for 2 axies. THe bigger the surface area, the better although more water volume keeps the water chemistry stable and less prone to temperature fluctuations.

However, it is advised that you either upgrade to a bigger tank or stick to one axie if you cannot religiously maintain the tank.

7-Also,can I put a plecostamus with it or they may fight?

No. Injury can result to either the axie or the pleco. Axies are best kept with conspecifics. That means other axies of a similar size.

kiwi32

Reaction score
Thank you so much for taking the time to produce those useful answers!
For the bloodworms,I will use this "jar" method with a flat rock that will serve as a plate.
For the pellet,however,the problem did not seem to be interest,but the size.My axol did tried to munch it,but it did not fit his mount.The automatic feeder will be programmed to feed one pellet at 6PM each day,and I will place the plate(flat rock)under it.I hope it will be like my other tank,where all the fishes start going crazy when they ear the motor of the feeder.I will program my light timer as you said.I already have a filter(fluval 105 connected in serie with a cl-280 chiller),so 2 axoltol should not be a problem.
I do believe you are right about pleco,but can I ask you why?
They are almost always sucking glass,so that should not cause a problem with the axies no?
Thank you again,I will post a thread with pictures as all will be done.I have a lot of hiding place and a nice aquascape.

bitenomnom

Reaction score
Since he seems too small for the pellets I'm not sure if you could do this, but once he's big enough you could also try feeding him nightcrawlers/earthworms. They're much cleaner and easier than bloodworms, and from what I've read more nutritionally complete as well. You can slice them into little bite-size bits while your axie is small. I cut them in half or sometimes quarters to feed mine but you could definitely cut them even smaller if needed.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You can cut the pellets into quarters or halves. I still don't recommend the auto feeder. Plecos can damage axie skin if they 'suck' on their skin or if an axie tries to eat it and it gets lodged in the mouth.

kiwi32

Reaction score
Thanks again for your answers.
I will try earthworms too,cutted in bit,just need to find some wich is not that easy in town.
I'll check if the pellets can be cutted in small pieces while keeping their shape(not becoming some pellets dust).
I have never seen a pleco sucking another fish,especially when they are big.Howerver,I do believe there might be fight for foos,so I'll just get a big snail instead.
For the autofeeder,I will try it for sure,my plan is to make this aqua like my 2 others -handsfree!
I just hope it will come to eat when the feeder will start.I will put the smallest feeding amount I can,so it feed max 1 time a day.
Cheers:smile:

bitenomnom

Reaction score
Sometimes fishing stores or even sporting supply shops sell worms. I know that here Wal-Mart sells worms as that's where I get mine.

If you're determined to use the auto-feeder, you should definitely watch closely for a while to make sure the axolotl finds the food and figures out the process. Otherwise you'll have food deteriorating in the tank which can really mess up the water conditions! (Not to mention one hungry 'lotl!) I wouldn't risk it just because you never know if one day he's just not hungry, and the pellet would just sit there and contaminate the tank as it deteriorates. But I guess if you look out for that maybe it would work? Hmmm.

kiwi32

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for your imput.I do not think my walmart sells worms,but I will try to look for some.I do have a country house so I guess I could bring them from here.
For the autofeeder,I will watch if it works in the first days of course,I will put a flat rock under so I can see if the pellet is eaten or not.Most of the time I take a look at least once a day,so uneaten food would be easy to spot.However,I am not here on weekend and for a few weeks in the year,so auto feed is a must for me.I am going to make some tests and see how it goes.
Have a nice day!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!