Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eating the bloodworms

DavidF

Reaction score

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hey, your link worked fine, what a great pair of goldies! It's so much fun to watch them on the "hunt" isn't it? I have a wildtype and a gold - they're a blast! Thanks for sharing - never get tired of seeing golds!:D

vladimere

Reaction score
how did you train them to use the bottle i've tried everything with my albino n it just desnt want to try anything n the others one night will eat shriump next there not liking it thn bloodworm the next night they wont have a bar of it n beef heart cubes is a great big no no

DavidF

Reaction score
No training required. I took the advice off this forum and put the worms into the glass jar and they sniff them out and eat them. I found it simple. The hard part is to try to ensure they find their own food bowl (at oppostie ends of the tank) and not fight over the same bowl.

I got them at 5 months old and they are happy eating pellets and frozen bloodworms. I've tried compost heap worms but they tend to spit them out and then mostly go for them later so they are my least favourite option even though they're my only free food option. They've also eaten Mountain Minnows. Oh, and a few tadpoles before I realised they weren't appropriate food.

In short, I've not found them them to be fussy eaters at all. They have a very healthy appetite.

Maybe your issue has somethng to do with the water parameters, temperature or stress or something? Someone here will be able to help you.....I'm only a newbie.

Good luck with yours as they sound quite different.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1