Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Setting up a worm farm

iChris

Reaction score
Hello all,

to assure my axolotl has a steady supply of food, I decided to set up a worm farm today.

I feed him axolotl pellets and frozen bloodworm and only the occasional earthworm because of the sandy soil and dry heat were I live, they are hard to find in the garden this time of year, but I decided that a change is as good as a holiday, and I decided that growing my own would be a excellent way to go.

I purchased a commercial worm kit and a starter colony of tiger worms, and set up according to the instructions, and placed it all in a shady location.

any tips growing the worms would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will move this to the live foods section of the forum. You can start to get some tips by reading through the old posts in this section.

martasauce

Reaction score
Hello all,

to assure my axolotl has a steady supply of food, I decided to set up a worm farm today.

I feed him axolotl pellets and frozen bloodworm and only the occasional earthworm because of the sandy soil and dry heat were I live, they are hard to find in the garden this time of year, but I decided that a change is as good as a holiday, and I decided that growing my own would be a excellent way to go.

I purchased a commercial worm kit and a starter colony of tiger worms, and set up according to the instructions, and placed it all in a shady location.

any tips growing the worms would be appreciated.

Hi iChris,

How's the worm farm coming along? How did your axie take to the Tiger worms? I'm thinking of making my own worm farm (I'll sell it as environmentally friendly to the wife) as the kits are a bit too expensive for my blood. Where did you get your worms from? I've been recommended Eisenia Hortensis, why did you choose Tiger's?

W

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!