Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is axolotl over-eating?

Yamid

Reaction score
Helloo there,

so sorry if this is a silly question but I've heard of axies undereating but is it possible for them to overeat?

Ive had Mabel about 2 1/2 months now, she is about 4 inches long. She's healthy but seems to have a ridiculous appetite. If i feed her til she wont have anymore, she will consume about 2 bloodworm cubes. Im just wondering if she is eating too much and should i be feeding her until she refuses the food?

carsona246

Reaction score
Their stomachs are supposed to be as wide as their heads, but if you post a picture we can judge better. But at 4 inches they're still growing pretty quickly. You can overfeed them though, I'd move to earthworms if she's eating 2 cubes of bloodworms at 4 inches long. It would be more nutritious for her, and cheaper for you.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Two cubes of bloodworm seems quite a lot for a four inch axolotl to eat in one sitting. Do you allow the bloodworm to defrost in the tank? because if you do the worms seperate and form a mat on the floor and a lot of the worm doesnt get eaten, to avoid this let the worm defrost outside the tank and when you drop it in it forms a big clump which the axolotl can eat easily without having to "graze" the tank bottom. If this is not the case, i would give the same advice as the previous post and switch to worms, they are more nutricious and make less waste to foul your tank.

Yamid

Reaction score
i got a few shots of her here, in comparision to my hand etc. as for earthworms, do you dig them up yourself or is it possible to buy from a pet shop? i tend to hand feed her in little slivers of worm cube, and melt them between my fingers so she can eat them without dropping them everywhere.

Attachments

• P1010402.jpg
    P1010402.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 544
  • P1010398.jpg
    P1010398.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 6,157
  • P1010408.jpg
    P1010408.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 3,769

mekkha

Reaction score
You can buy earthworms in certain pet stores or bait shops just make sure they are pesticide free. Same goes for gardens, as long as they are pesticide free, just dig the up! You can always cut them into smaller pieces too.

Yamid

Reaction score
thanks guys, I also wondered if you knew why her stomach was bubbly like that? some parts of it stick out sometimes, and then it just goes away again. very odd. all the pictures were taken minutes apart

carsona246

Reaction score
mine did the exact same thing. I actually thought mine was bloated at one point because of it.

Aaran

Reaction score
The left hand side of the lotl is the stomach, in larvea particularly its easy to see bumps from above, this is normally food, your axie seems nice and festively plump, birds eye view would be nice though!

My bait shop sells 3 sets of the drendoba(dunno what there called) worms

small tub - 2.50 - about 100 worms
Medium tub - 5.50 about 500 worms
1kg sack, 13 - Purely worms so alot :D

all prices are £

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Hehehe mine looks like that from above... but she's much older than yours. I'd say you're eats so much because its still a juvi and puts lots of energy into growing

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!