Question about sick newt

seether169

Reaction score
Country
United States
Since the begining of March my newt has been bloated. He still has been able to eat just not as much as he used to. 2 days ago i noticed that he was not bloated anymore and he seems to have shrunk. He is much lighter that he ever was and his head is much smaller than normal. Do you think that whatever caused him to be bloated is gone and he just lost the weight because he hasnt been eating as much or do you think its something else. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have had my newt for the past 19 years now. He is a rough skin newt and is very dear to my entire family. Thank you.

It makes sense that it may be a result of eating less for a couple of months, though it could be a symptom of another problem. If you can post a picture it may help.
Is he active and eaing more now?

EDIT: it may be worth asking a mod to move the thread to the 'newt and salamander help' section of the forum, may get more views there.

I've moved the thread and deleted the duplicate thread.

When he was bloated, did it look like it had a neck, i.e. was it just the stomach area, or was it the whole newt?
Also how sure are you that it's a male?

19 years, eh? Sounds like quite the geriatric newt- I suspect old age may be a contributing factor. Organ failure (as well as a number of other causes) can lead to bloat.

Actually in truth I am pretty sure that it is a girl. I jsut call her he cause before I knew it was a girl I had named her Isaac. Im pretty sure its a girl from what I have gathered from photos that I have seen of the two sexes. My newts entire body had been swolen (neck,head, tail, legs, body) and then a couple of days ago it was just the head and neck. Now my newt just seems to have shrunk.

I know that old age and organ failure is the likley cause. I was just wondering if he might have gotten a bit better or if things are just getting worse.

He isnt super active and he hasn't eaten much more yet though its only been 2 days. He still takes himself in the water. I was just sooo surprised to see how much he changed in size from one day to another.

If bloating decreases or goes away, that seems like it must be a good sign. Keep us posted on whether the newt has truly gone back to normal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back