Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding 3 day old larvae

katie11122

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Kaitlin. I have bred axolotls for the first time, I have aprox 70 – 80 three day old baby axolotls/ larvae and I am terrified I might be doing something wrong. My first worry is that I don’t know if they are eating or not. I have had to use newly hatched brine shrimp (rinsed) and they swim around a little bit but that’s all. I read somewhere that they should have red/orange bellies when they have fed is this true?? Also how can I make sure that the salt levels don’t increase too much since I am feeding them the shrimp. I do regular water changes and Ph tests but that won’t give me an indication.

Any help would be appreciated!

lea

Reaction score
Mine do have little orange bellies once they have eaten. I can see my babies jumping to get food once i put it in, they look like they are hiccuping...very cute. As for the salt question I dont know the answer im sorry. I just rinse mine before i feed the babies and thats it...........
welcome to the forum by the way

Last edited:

katie11122

Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks im still getting the hang of things!! what geno type do you have? mine are a mix of the "wild type" and the golden ones. hopfully after tonights feed they will have full tummys and i will be able to see it. they do jump around but it looks more like a sudden burst of energy.

thanks heaps for your feed back!!!

:eek:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Kaitlin, I moved your post from the Introduction section to the Axolotl breeding section. You'll get more help here.

It may be too soon to see the orange bellies. Sometimes they still have yolk when they hatch and don't start feeding right away. You should be rinsing the salt off the BBS before adding them.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Ive got three day olds as well and am feeding BBS, just rinse it well before you feed and salt shouldn't be a problem , especially as your doing daily water changes, dont get stressed , chill out and enjoy them they will be leaving home soon enough lol.

katie11122

Reaction score
Hello again

I didn’t lose any over the weekend so they must be feeding okay. I am feeding them twice a day now to make sure everyone gets full!. Thanks everyone for your help I must admit I panicked at first!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1