Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lotl Agression

arnichol

Reaction score
I have two axies who have been in the same tank up until tonight for about three months. I kept them separated because the melanoid was much larger than the golden and I was worried about accidental nipping. I introduced them slowly, and they got along great for a while. I am about 95% sure they are both females.

My melanoid has been sexually mature for about four months, and the golden albino just started maturing last week (thats when her nails started changing color). Since then, they have been behaving strangely and have become more aggressive over food, to the point where I have to feed them separately in a feeding tank. They have also snapped at each other, which I didn't worry much about because it was either during feeding time or when the golden decided it would be fun to sit on the melanoid's head for an extended period of time.

Today I looked at the tank to see the golden floating (one of her favorite past times) and I noticed a good chuck of her tail had been ripped off. I immediately separated the two, and am planning to get another tank for her tomorrow. However, I know that when axolotls get older, they tend to enjoy companionship more. But I also know that axolotls with aggressive tendencies tend to stay aggressive.

Do you think that in a few months, when the melanoid, who is more aggressive, gets to be about a year old? Or should I keep them apart forever? I love them both very much, as they have very different personalities, and I would hate to give one up if I can't keep two tanks at once.

Schambers87

Reaction score
I assume there is quite a size difference between the two? Also how big is the tank they are in when together?
I hear wild types ca be more aggressive towards leucistic and other variations but don't know if this is the same for melanoids.
You could try again when both fully grown but doesn't sound like a match made in heaven and sounds the melanoid prefers her space. I wouldn't like to risk stress to either by trying again.
X

arnichol

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

The melanoid is about 8 inches, and the golden is 6.5, so there isn't a huge difference, but its enough. I think I'm going to get a new longer tank and put a divider in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1