Leucistic turned bright red, white film over eyes and white stuff on gills

Audienta

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have no idea what's wrong with her. I had been monitoring her to see if she'd get better, water changes and all, but now she barely moves, even when I touch her (she usually freaks out if I try to handle her) and she doesn't go after food at all. It started a couple of weeks ago, but it looked like it was getting better. Now her whole body, which used to be a really light off-white, is bright pink, there's white stuff completely covering her eyes, and there's white fuzzy bits on her gills. There's not a WHOLE lot of white stuff on her, other than her eyes and like two spots on her gills so I'm not sure if it's fungal-related or not.
I had some danios in the tank with her and her tankmate (who appears to be fine), intending for them to be eaten, but it appears one of the danios made a snack of some of her gills. Is this the issue, perhaps? The danios were seperate from the lotls for a LONG time, so I don't know if they would've had any persisting parasites...

After further inspection, her tank mate is beginning to grow white spots as well, though they weren't very noticable until I really looked for them. the substance on the gills appears to be somewhat cottony, so I believe it might be a fungal infection and that the discoloration in the axolotl may just be due to stress. Managed to get her tankmate to eat a tiny bit, but she still won't eat a thing, even when I hold the food right in front of her nose for her to smell.
Will be starting salt baths in the morning; it's 1 am where I am now and I can't wake the rest of the house up. I'm not even sure I have the right kind of salt...

Could you post some pictures? If the white stuff appears like cotton wool type fuzz it sounds like fungus. There is a salt bath tutorial in the sick axolotl section so it would be worth reading this though I personally don't think fridging is necessary. Here is another link on fungus

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-axolotl-general-discussion/96018-fungus.html

Also, have you tested the parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and temperature?

You need to get this axie to a vet ASAP. Red usually indicates infection, and fungus is likely to be secondary.

I've seen this before where my friends luci's turned bright pink, its was where the water quality had dropped because the filter stopped working. The ammonia will burn the skin and then allow infection/fungus to develop. Move them to different containers and do salt baths http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f58-sick-axolotl/72698-salt-bath-picture-tutorial.html

It should clear up over the next day or two depending how badly affected they are. If nothing changes then they will need to see a vet asap. Post pictures now so we can see how far the issues have developed.

unfortunately, Naga passed away before I could get her into the salt bath. I wish I had been able to do it yesterday, but all the tutorials said to use non-iodized salt, and there isn't any in my house. I want to look over Grima a bit more closely before I put him in a salt bath; the white spots that I thought I saw yesterday do not appear to be present anymore, and I don't want to stress him out too much.
Thank you all for your help. I'm sorry I couldn't provide pictures as asked; there isn't adequate lighting to get accurate photos.
AxolotlChris mentioned a water quality drop, and I'm wondering if maybe my tank cycle crashed. I'm going to do another water change tonight to try to balance things out; I usually do around a 25-35% change anyways, but for the past two days or so I've been doing them daily.
Here's hoping Grima's okay...

So Grima doesn't have any visible issues (I figure I was just freaking out about Naga so much yesterday that I thought Grima did, too) but he's still not eating.

Naga must have been in that condition for sometime if she died only a day later. If you ever see any sort of fungus or skin change move them to a separate tub of cold dechlorinated water straight away. The faster you act the more likely they will survive. I've done this process 3/4 times for other people and the Axolotl clears up in a day or two. Its a shame she didn't make it, but at least you'll be extra careful in the future. If you need to take pictures in the future just get a lamp or torch, there are many ways to create light.

You'll want to start checking your water parameters every week or so, you can purchase the: Welcome to API Fishcare: FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT
its essential to make sure your water quality is safe.

Sorry for your loss, always be vigilant

Grima would not eat. By the time I found out that force feeding was possible, Grima has already passed as well. He must've been sick or otherwise stressed as well; he didn't really show any visible signs, but he was just eating a few days ago and now he's gone.
I'm quite certain now that my tank cycle crashed and I caught it too late. I'm sorry; these were my first axolotls and I was inexperienced. I should have been more careful and it was shameful that I couldn't see what was wrong until it was too late
I think if I get more axolotls it will be a long time from now, and when I'm certain I won't make these mistakes again
Thank you all for your help and support, and I'm sorry that I couldn't be a better axolotl mom

I am sorry they did not pull through. Sometimes illnesses can come on very quickly and sometimes with little warning until it is too late. Keeping axolotls (and other animals) is always a learning experience so don't punish yourself. There may not have been much you could have done. I hope this experience does not deter you from keeping axolotls again when you feel ready.

I feel really awful, but I also feel like when I get axolotls again, I'll be going in better prepared than I was. I thought that when I got these two, I had thought of everything they would need, but I didn't imagine they'd get sick. Now I feel like I'll be much better prepared and much more informed about the next lotls I get (and I will be getting more. I loved these two so much, I've realized that I can't NOT have axolotls. They're just too cute, and too cool, and too fun). I'm just sorry all this learning had to come at their expense.

RIP Naga and Grima, and thank you for the smiles.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back