Please help! Lingering red fungus.

t0risaur

Reaction score
Country
United States
My GFP axie is almost a year old, and she's had these red patches on her legs for almost four months. I thought it was the red leg fungus, and it was deteriorating her little feet, but I was using furan-2 to keep it under control. It would almost go away and then come right back. I've been treating her with the furan 2 religiously, but still nothing. Is there anything I can do? Her tail is nice and straight and her gills are curled from time to time, but just barely.

Can you post a picture? Ant your water parameters? Continual use of furan-2 will kill your cycle, that won't be helping.

IMG_2589.jpg
IMG_2591.jpg
It's been about this much for a while now but it wont go away. I'm not putting in the furan 2 anymore.. the filter media is fresh, and i was going to do another 25% water change today to get the furan out. I have no way to test the water at the moment, but I'm sure the furan 2 has screwed it up. Advice?

I cycled the tank before I got him, but the furan 2 instructions were to change the filter when i finished 4 doses. I just put a fresh one in a few nights ago but this had been going on so long that it's probably totally crashed by now. What should I do? I dont use de-chlorinator, but this weekend I can get some. What kind do you recommend?

You will need a test kit to know if your tank is cycled or not, because you have to check for levels of Ammonia, Nitrites, and NitrAtes. A lot of users on this forum use and recommend this test kit including myself: Welcome to API Fishcare: FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT

Dechlorinator is a must, it neutralizes chlorine, chloramine and metal toxins in the tap water, these are harmful to your Axolotl. I use: Water Conditioner | A8342 | Water Care | Fluval There is also another brand 'Tetra': AquaSafe Aquarium Dechlorinator Conditioner | Tetra Aquarium

You will need to focus on cycling your tank again to maker sure your Axolotl is not in pain and is healthy.

You can cycle with your Axolotl in the tank but that exposes him to Ammonia and Nitrite so frequent water changes will be needed to keep him safe. Or you can cycle without your Axolotl in the tank and just provide a source of Ammonia.

Read these links to understand the cycling process:
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Good luck, you can always ask any questions if you have any doubts! ;)

I've been slowly changing out the water with furan 2, and he's already looking a lot better. I will get the supplies and get him fixed up then update. Thanks for your help! :eek:

When you say 'changing the water out with furan 2' do you mean your still adding it ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back