Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Axolotl but don't know what is wrong

DarlingC

Reaction score
Hi, I am new on here and have only had my axies for a few months. We adopted four from friends who could no longer take care of them.

For the past two weeks Burt (wild type) has not been eating and his cloaca is open very wide. I originally thought that he was laying spermatophore as there was white stuff between his legs but it seemed to be stuck. I spoke to my local pet shop who breed axies and they said that it could be a fungus and to give him salt baths and put in the fridge. I did this for one week and he seemed to be better. However he has reverted back to not eating and cannot swim and keeps sinking.

I took him into the pet shop and they had a look at him but said they couldn't see a fungus and didn't think he had a prolapse. They said that there may be an internal parasite but if the others are fine then this is probably not likely.
They told me to keep him in a separate tub and not in the fridge. I have done this and tried to feed him chopped up bits of red worm. He still won't eat and his back leg is at a funny angle. I'm wondering if he has injured himself.

I don't know the age of him but he is the son of two of the other axies I have. He is about10-11 inches in length.

The water in the tank is fine - ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 20ppm (I have read that this is acceptable level). I have been doing regular water changes. My other three axies are totally healthy, swimming and eating.

I am getting really worried about him now as he won't eat and this has been for nearly three weeks now. He is looking skinny. Wondering if I should force feed him.:(

If any one has any advice I would appreciate this.:confused:

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Could you post some images on the affected Axolotl from different angles?

Could you post some images of your tank?

Also, what is your water temperature?

DarlingC

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I will post images tonight as at work at the moment.

The water temperature is between 16 - 18 degrees.

DarlingC

Reaction score
I will get the images uploaded tonight.

Thanks for letting me know that the parameters are fine. Thought they were.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
As the nitrogen cycle progresses Ammonia is broken down into Nitrites, then these Nitrites are broken down into Nitrates. Your readings show that because the Nitrate reading is at 20ppm and the Ammonia and Nitrite is at 0 the beneficial bacteria is existing so your 'biofilter' is established.

When your Nitrates are around 40ppm you perform a water change as they can cause your Axolotl to be susceptible to fungus, and the high Nitrates can start to unbalance your cycle.

Keep on top of testing your water parameters this way you know when the Nitrates hit 40ppm then you can perform your water change.

Read these articles on cycling:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Beginner FAQ: The Nitrogen Cycle

DarlingC

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice that you have given.

I won't be posting any photos as when I got home I found that Burt had died. :(:(:(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!