Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Laws on reselling native wild caught species?

Mjasko

Reaction score
I posted a thread a few days ago about some "axolotls" for sale that looked like tiger salamander larvae. Thanks to the wisdom of one of the forum members who replied, I felt more confident about asking the seller where she got them, how long she's had them, etc. and got a quick reply saying she purchases them at Pet Planet and that they were selling them as water dragons so she couldn't guarantee the actual species they were but promised they were 100% neotenic.

I decided to take a 30min drive out to this pet store to ask about their axolotls. They did sell axolotls (in bad conditions), but they were much larger than the 2-3in ones that the lady was selling. I showed one of the employees the Ad and the pictures, and he said that their store has never carried those colors before and that these looked wild caught, and might be "mud puppies". He also said that they had never sold their axolotls as anything but axolotls.

So maybe this lady was lying?? Or just confused? She mentioned that she was selling them to get a tortoise for her kid, but I noticed that she had an Ad selling a tortoise that was posted the same day as the "axolotls." I sent her her own Ad telling to get it for her kid (I don't think she actually looked at it though) and replied that she already currently owned 2 tortoises. (This all happened yesterday) She also said that she was sold out and that I couldn't get one.

I don't think she sold all her larvae (she didn't have any takers until me yesterday) AND purchased two tortoises from 5pm yesterday to early this morning. There's a whole lot of holes in her story. Pretty sure she still them, and that she took them from the wild somewhere. Am I overreacting? Should I tell someone? I'm pretty sure it's illegal to take wild animals native to a specific state and then sell them in that same state. I remember because our class had such a difficult time trying to get permits for catfish (native to utah) for our aquaponics/ gardening system. In the end, we had to give up-- there wasn't anyone who had a permit to sell them to us.

Tiger salamanders use to be quite abundant in Utah, but they have become a rarity and something special to catch a glimpse of in the wild, due to encroaching land development and people catching them for pets.Taking animals from their natural habitat is wrong, and making a profit from diminishing a species, hurting their chances for future survival is even worse. Should I ignore this incident, or take action? It almost seems pointless and futile to change the ways of humans in the end.

If you want to see the ad or any of the pics let me know

Blackbun

Reaction score
Well mjasko, it's about being honest isn't it and being able to live with yourself knowing otherwise. People will claim all sorts of things if they can get away with it. Gut feelings are usually correct but sometimes we want something so bad, we ignore our suspicions. Most people know these days that wild caught isn't a seller, captive bred is. If you are desperate to acquire a particular species because they are rarely/never available, then there are some questions you might not ask. I've often asked myself that very question.....if I want, would I buy? Ask no questions, tell no lies. You sound like a guy with great principles.

manderkeeper

Reaction score
If you don't like a particular person, don't buy from them. However, worying about if some person catches a couple of salamanders as a conservation concern is a waste of time. There are no species of reptile and amphibian in the US where which capturing as pets makes any difference and if there were they would be on the endangered species list and it would be highly illegal to sell them and most likely one would not be doing so for very long.

Blackbun

Reaction score
Dear otterwoman do you know if there's a topic here some place which deals with scammers and how to spot dodgy activity?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!