Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Leucistic Axolotl is Bright Red ?

TaylorJaede

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a very urgent question for anyone who can help me.
This past weekend I came home to find my leucistic axie, Ketos, looking a little more pink than usual. It's a full body thing, not just his tail-- hence my concern. I did some research and at first thought that perhaps it was a bacterial infection called Aeromonas hydrophila, because a lot of the symptoms seem to match and he had gotten a small cut on his tail a few days before.

First I changed the water completely, scrubbed everything in his tank with water and put him back in. He still didn't seem to be getting any better, so I went out and bought some pet store bacterial remedy. It doesn't seem to be working either, and I'm very confused as to what could be wrong, especially since I've been doing everything exactly the same since I got him in November.

In addition to the now bright red-ness (it almost looks like a really bad sunburn), his tail is really veiny, he isn't eating near as much, and is very sluggish with his movements. He also seems to be "floating" more than usual and resting on top of one of his decorations near the surface of the water.

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated !

TaylorJaede

Reaction score
I know these photos aren't the greatest, but this is from earlier this week. For reference, he's usually the same colour as my skin. When I get the chance later, I will post a better/updated photo. (I wasn't grabbing his tail, he likes to swim through my fingers sometimes.)
taylorjaede-albums-ketos-9-mos-picture38276-image.jpeg
taylorjaede-albums-ketos-9-mos-picture38277-image.jpeg

taylorjaede-albums-ketos-9-mos-picture38278-image.jpeg

As of recent, his entire body is more the colour of his tail in the second last photo.

Skudo09

Reaction score
Many over the counter remedies for fish are toxic to axolotls. What was the product?

Was your tank cycled before you cleaned it out? Are you familiar with the cycling process and the nitrogen cycle? And have you tested the parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and temperature?

Do you have a vet in your area? It may be best to seek veterinary help.

I cannot see the photos. It may be due to being on a phone.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
I agree is sounds bacterial, but could be associated with an uncycled tank. A vet is your best hope for success with a bacterial infection. If you cannot find a qualified vet (or really can't afford it), check the medicines listed in Axolotls - Health & Diseases

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Sounds exactly like ammonia burn. Red skin (burnt), floating. Since you cleaned yor entire tank and changed all the water it seems like you are not aware of the Nitrogen Cycle. If your tank is not cycled and you are not checking for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates then this will be the cause of the symptoms.

Buying 'a pet store bacterial remedy' was a bad idea. Never use any product on an Axolotl without knowing it's safe first. Half of the products made for fish are not safe for Axolotls and have not been tested. Axolotls absorb through their skin and normal fish products can make them sick or worse.

You should remove your Axolotl from the tank ASAP, transfer it to a large plastic container with fresh dechlorinated water, change the water 100% everyday. I use containers like this: image.jpg

What is your tank temperature? What testing kit do you use (if you own one)?
Try post pictures again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1