Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Very Confused and Concerned

Branwen

Reaction score
Hi All!

I've inherited an axolotl from a friend who had to move away and couldn't take him with her, so my beautiful Quetzal and I have been together for about three months now.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about him and here are the questions I've got:

1. Do they need an air pump? (Provided that's their correct name, I'm not native speaker) The one I have looks like a rock and pumps in oxygen, I guess.

2. I think he might have a fungus, because last week after doing a water change he looked like covered by a cotton coat. I fed him and it shaked off, hasn't come back, his finger tips look like brown as if he had dirt on and one of his gills has gone pale on the top. Does he need a salt bath and fringing?

He's eating and moving as usual, in fact, has been asking for food like very often. Of course I try not to over-feed him, I learned that lesson already!:p

3. About his gills... I thought they were not fluffy and big because of his genes, but I looked for pictures of the time when my friend got him and he used to have huge beautiful fluffy ones, what could have happened? When she gave him to me, they were (and still are) teeny tiny, can he get them back?

All I want is to provide the best for him and make him happy and to take good care of him.

Info:

Fish tank: not sure, think it might be a 80L one.

Parameters: all good except for the ph, I bought the product to put it up as is currently less than 6.4 but I am scared of actually hurting him. Is there any threat of site to go to and learn the best way of doing it?

Filter: stingray 15, but I think it's massive for the tank, it takes too much space.

Temperature: 17C

Size: 30 cms (I've bought a bigger tank so he can move around and be happier :happy:)

I'm very sorry for the long post, but I really need help and would appreciate what you can do for my Quetzal :love:

Thanks!

Skudo09

Reaction score
An air pump is not necessary but won't hurt.

Can you post some photos? What colour is your axolotl? Light coloured axolotls normally have darkened toe tips.

Photos will help see his condition and what treatment may be needed if any.

Don't use the chemical PH adjusting solutions. They can cause fluctuations in PH and make things worse. To buffer PH you can add some crushed coral to your filter media or place the coral in a stocking and hang in the tank. What exactly are the other parameters? Is the tank cycled?

Branwen

Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Sorry about the pictures, I tried to upload them but kept getting an error.

Yes, I cycle the tank once a week and more often if and when necessary (especially after feeding bloodworms, they can be messy!).

I ran out of testing strips two days ago, I took him to the vet and they asked me to send tell them the parameters which I did and the only one that has never been really ok is the ph. I've had a lot of troubles with that one, but with your advise I'm hoping to be able to fix it.

I've managed to attach a picture of the tank as it looks today and a picture of how he looked before. Please bear with me, while I try to upload another one of how he looks today.

Sorry for the bother!

Attachments

• WP_20160523_08_45_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160523_08_45_23_Pro.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 165
  • C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_11018784_10153233795595250_6795.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_11018784_10153233795595250_6795.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 139

Branwen

Reaction score
Ok, here are the pictures of how he looks today. Sorry I couldn't get a full length one as he was hiding in the log.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• WP_20160523_09_11_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160523_09_11_03_Pro.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 160
  • WP_20160523_09_11_21_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160523_09_11_21_Pro.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 150

Skudo09

Reaction score
I am not seeing any fungus so I would not be fridging or giving salt baths.

Test strips have been known to give inaccurate results. It would be best to invest in a liquid test kit. Could you post the last readings here? When you get a new kit, test the water and post those readings here.

When I asked if the tank is cycled, I wasn't referring to water changes. I was referring to whether the nitrogen cycle has been established in the tank. Below are a couple of links on water quality and aquarium cycling. If you are not familiar with the cycling process, it is important to read up on this as it plays a vital role in water quality and the health of axolotls.

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

Branwen

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm sorry, I thought the cycling was to change the water.

We have had him for 3 months now, my friend had him 1.5 years before and the previous owner I think was the one who had him for 3.5 years. Anyhow, since she brought him in and set the fish tank, I don't think I've ever done the cycling process.

I've got a bigger tank, but can't set it up yet as don't have the stand. Not sure what's the best way to resolve this situation and would like to know if this might have been the reason for losing his fluffy gills.

I went to the shop and see if they have the test kit but they only got the strips, so, that's what I've got for now as, I will order the other type through Amazon.

So, I'm to change his water today but did a test, that's the pictures you will find attached.

Again, thank you for any help.

Attachments

• WP_20160525_09_08_43_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160525_09_08_43_Pro.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 115
  • WP_20160525_09_11_38_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160525_09_11_38_Pro.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 127
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!