Fungus Axolotl questions

ChristinaHerne

Reaction score
Country
United States
I noticed that my adult male Axolotl has the fluffy white fungus and I just want to make sure that I'm doing everything I can to help him.

I've started salt baths yesterday (as of now I've only given him two) and they've been about 1.5 tablespoon of salt in a liter of water for 10-15 minutes. After he gets one the fungus starts to fall off is that a good sign?

I also gave him a very large water change yesterday, and I believe I read somewhere that you're supposed to do water changes everyday when they have fungus. Is it a normal water change or should I continue with the larger ones?

His temperature in his tank has been around 68 but I'm purchasing tank fans to try and help cool it down more (its a 20g tank so if you have tips or know brands of fans that are good quality, the last one I got stopped working in a few weeks) Sometimes the tank will reach 70 but with a few ice bottles I tend to lower it faster.

As I said the fungus seems to be falling off after each bath and he seems to be acting relatively normal, pooping and eating and such. I just want to make sure that there isn't something I could be doing more/ making sure I'm doing everything right. I've also read that I should continue salt baths even after the fungus seems to be gone for a few days? Is that true?

http://oi66.tinypic.com/1zque7m.jpg

http://oi65.tinypic.com/inzeah.jpg

If it is minor fungus then salt baths are not needed. The fungus should fall off on its own a slong as the water conditions are correct. Salt baths are highly irritating to the skin and only recommended in serious situations.

The fungus falling off is a good sign.

Don't continue the salt baths, just make sure your tank is cycled and healthy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back