Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Axolotls... Please help!

Aeriie

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have two lovely axolotls, that I love a ton. My black one is Mudkip, the white one is Salamance.

Both of them are growing some odd spots. Salamance is getting black on him, lightly on his body and heavily on his head. Mudkip is getting white all over... and I know its not natural. She also won't eat, and now is getting thinner and thinner. Today when I just checked on her, she can barely walk, and the white is becoming thicker on her head. I didnt want to take another picture, because I would have had to net her and she seems so fragile that Im scared to.

S3gUN

7PppH

Please help. I am very worried Mudkip won't make it another day.

Donna001

Reaction score
Your axolotls look very thin, and their gills look small.
What are your water parameters? Is the tank cycled?
It may be worth putting them into smaller containers with 100% dechlorinated water changes daily, just in case there are problems with water quality.
I think the black marks on your leucistic are just normal markings developing. The darker axolotl may have a thickening of the slime coat for some reason. Whay dechlorinator are you using?
Sorry to have to ask so many questions.
Hopefully some of the more experienced keepers and breeders will also offer some advice soon.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and both of your axolotls.

Aeriie

Reaction score
The water wasn't very good, the air filter had gotten gummed up while I was away for a week. However I put Mudkip in the fridge, and since then a lot of that fuzzy coat has come off. Yesterday she was so bad that her mouth was open and tail badly curled. However today she is looking much brighter, her mouth is back to normal but her tail is still awry. I just changed her fridge water though, and she had bright red spots on her head. I was freaking out, but then when I moved her the red spots just removed themselves (I didn't touch her and was very careful to move her, so I was surprised they naturally came off so gently).

I'm really curious what the red was. Any ideas?

Aeriie

Reaction score
I should also mention that the water is now decent, tiny bit spiked nitrate wise but I am experienced when it comes to aquariums and water parameters so I am doing small changes daily to lower it. The primer I use is called Prime, and it's a 45 gallon tank for just my Axlotls.

emdalliance

Reaction score
May I ask why your axolotls are so skinny? You didn't mention that Salamance wouldn't eat so why is that axie so underweight? The black markings on the lucy look like dirty lucy markings so nothing to worry about but as has been said it appears your melanoid has a thickened slime coat.
What temperature has your tank been at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donna001

Reaction score
I agree with Emily that the dark markings on your leucistic are just markings. My leucistics are getting more dark markings as they are getting older, and that's normal.
Seachem Prime is a very well known dechlorinator, and should be fine for your axis. Your frquent small water changes are perfect to keep your axies comfortable.
The gill size and weight of your axolotls is still a concern. You will need to keep your water parameters absolutely perfect and get your little ones eating again to be able to get them back to good health. Keep a very close eye on the temperature as well, and ideally keep it around 16-18C (approx. 61-65F), perhaps even a little cooler.
I think that you may need to feed your axies little and often to help them to get some weight on, without the worry of them regurgitating food from eating too much. What are you feeding them at the moment? What have they been happy eating previously?
I know earthworms are the best basic diet, but you may have to go back to bloodworms or something they ate when younger, just to get them eating again.
Any information at this point is helpful.

Aeriie

Reaction score
Salamance was very skinny and stressed when I got him, and I have been working on helping him get better. Mudkip was terrible about sharing food and it took a bit for me to get him to this point because he wouldn't eat. Now he does eat, he just only eats bloodworms and doesn't seem to take any interest in other food. However he is doing okay now, I'm going to try some black worms this upcoming week to see if he is interested.

Mudkip passed away this afternoon. I keep on beating myself up about it, especially since she was doing so much better yesterday. I want to thank everyone for their help with her. It's really hard for me to not be upset but I'm trying to just make sure I get Salamance back to normal and healthy so he can be the happiest Axie he can be.

Aeriie

Reaction score
In my reply above when I just said Salamance wouldn't eat, that was prior to Mudkip getting sick. Now he is to the point that he eats regularly. He doesn't eat a TON but does eat a good amount.

Last edited:

Bette

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss :-(

Work on keeping the water clean and safe, and offer food such as earthworms and axolotl semi soft sinking pellets. Temperature is key too. Try to keep the temp under 70 degrees, with 60-65 being ideal.

emdalliance

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss! I've lost 3 this year. One to impaction (was impacted before I got him) and two to unknown conditions.. ?
It's horrible but keep working on Salamance! Patience is key. I'm glad to hear he is eating. Try little and often! I've adopted a lucy that was SUPER thin like in your picture (looked even worse because he has a fat head and all his limbs were torn to shreds) and it's taken me ages to get his weight back on, not where he should be but getting there! He often regurgitates though because I overestimate what he can handle. ? it's all about learning what they can and can't take and so on xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!