Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank size for Orientalis

Lasher

Reaction score
The next chapter in the lives of my squabbling CO's is going to be a move into a small split tank. Basicaly I've failed to find two suitable small tanks anywhere. I intend to construct a tank split into two sections with the one good filter from my current tank, using styrene sheeting and cork so they cant see each other. My question is this - how big?
Both are adults, what is the recommended tank dimensions for a single specimen? I've kept them for years, but always in groups of two or larger and I honestly have no idea.

To fit where it needs to go I'll be using a clearseal aquarium 8' high by 8' deep but am unsure on the length(I can accomodate a maximum of 24' long, so 12' each side). To my knowledge tanks are available in 12, 16, 20 and 24'. Land areas wont be too deep to maximise water area, and I shouldnt think water quality would be an issue(good, established filter).

Thoughts?

issac NEWTon

Reaction score
id say it would work, some people put 3 in a ten gal, the long type are '12" high, "10" deep and "20"long. those are inches. go for the max space. probably dumb question, but why do they need to be seperated

Lasher

Reaction score
They became aggressive and the male was quite badly injured. He's recovering, slowly, I dont think its really fair that he's living in a small tub on the window sill and she gets a 2ft tank to herself!

issac NEWTon

Reaction score
o sorry,is their a signifacant size difference? im sure you know not to do this already(putting larger specimens with smaller ones).

issac NEWTon

Reaction score
this puzzles me,i always thought c.o's were not supposed to be aggressive, regardless of sex, have you ever seen the male trying to court the female, i guess mabye she just dosent like him, anyway the size is probably good. good luck.

Lasher

Reaction score
Orientalis do tend to be more peacefull than most species, though they can have aggressive tendencies depending on the individuals personality and environmental conditions. As with most species of amphibia they will fight over food, sometimes even if there is enough and its spread around.
During breeding season if you keep odd numbers of males/females they will fight over the opposite sex, they can also act territoraly just not to the degree that other species will.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1