Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

skink?

Bowl of seeds

Reaction score
I need help on identifying this reptile
I was outside In my front yard and I found this reptile laying on my driveway waiting to be killed :[
So picked It up and put him in a tank with dirt and water.
Was it right for me to take him inside or should I have left It where It was?
I think Its a skink but I'm not sure
please fill me in here

Attachments

• DSC00619.jpg
    DSC00619.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 2,356
  • DSC00621.jpg
    DSC00621.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC00624.jpg
    DSC00624.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 1,664

IanF

Reaction score
I'd say Southern Alligator Lizard is your best bet, found commonly around southern California.

If you don't want to have to deal with buying food and caring for it- or even possibly breaking the law, depending upon your local laws on collecting- then release it in a local park or somewhere that has similar conditions to the area you found it in (obviously not the drive way, but temperature and soroundings wise).
But, definately before keeping it, check the legality of it first.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Definitely a Southern Alligator. Exceedingly common in Southern California. You must have a valid fishing license to posses one. Be very careful, these animals are aggressive and pack a nasty bite.

Fun note: Actually got a pair of these to breed back when I lived out there. Males have the most interesting courtship dance...

Bowl of seeds

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I actually have gotten bitten by this one but it seems pretty tame now, I can grab it now but I think its best if I let it go.

Last edited by a moderator:

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
They are ferocious biters, but thankfully they are smaller of the two species in Southern California. One detail I forgot to mention, they are also, "tail droppers". It is advisable not to handle them because of this. It never grows back to its full splendor (or length).

aramcheck

Reaction score
They are ferocious biters, but thankfully they are smaller of the two species in Southern California. One detail I forgot to mention, they are also, "tail droppers". It is advisable not to handle them because of this. It never grows back to its full splendor (or length).
Judging by the third picture, this has already hapened to that chap :)

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Most likely. The Alligator lizard has an exceedingly long, and fragile tail. Most do not make it to adulthood with their original tail intact.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!