Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

PH is between 8.0-8.2!

Critter Mom

Reaction score
I have checked the parameters of my water with the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It showed the following going on in my 10 gallon aquarium on 7/30/2009:

pH: 8.0-8.2
Ammonia: 0-0.25 ppm (mg/L)
Nitrite: 0 ppm (mg/L)
Nitrate: 0-5.0 ppm (mg/L)

What is the pH supposed to be for C. Orientalis? I think it is supposed to be between 7.0-7.2 pH. Is that correct?

When I have a range for the data, it is because the color seemed in between the ones on the chart, so the actual numbers fall somewhere in between that range.

How do I lower the pH safely? The test kit recommends a chemical means to do so by using API's pH Down. The book Newts and Salamanders by Devin Edmonds says that it should be lowered by "placing a bag of peat moss in the filter". Is this the kind the Dollar Tree sells, or is that sphagnum moss (is there a difference)? How much do I use? Is the bag he is talking about a cheesecloth, or do I need to make a special bag? I am sorry if I sound stupid or ask so many questions.:eek:

Is this pH problem maybe why the newts sometimes panic when they are in the water and generally stay out of it? They have only been in their mostly aquatic setup for about a week or slightly less now.

Thank you,
Critter Mom

Last edited:

Critter Mom

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the ambient air temperature is 73 degrees F, and the water temperature is 70 degrees F. I just got it lowered. The newts do not seem too impressed as they are still reluctant to go in the water. I am awaiting the arrival of more plants. It should be getting full with plants soon.

I have a couple pond snails and possibly a ramshorn snail. They are all about 1 mm long. I have a couple mystery snails too. The newts would not go in the water prior to having the snails. They seem fascinated by the snails and may attempt to eat the snails. I don't know. I am watching the situation very closely.

Thanks,
Critter Mom

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Chemically adjusting pH is generally a bad idea. While not too high for newts, I would test your water right out of the tap @70 degrees. Then I would take a good hard look at your tank decorations...especially rocks, substrate or ceramic based items.

About the only thing pH down and similar products are good for in my opinion is testing rocks and substrates for the presence of CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) which causes water hardness and alkalinity issues.

About what size are your newts? Age could be a factor with their aquaphobia.

Critter Mom

Reaction score
I am happy to report that the smallest of the newts is exploring his world underwater right now as we speak. I found him with a swollen cloaca exploring when I woke up this morning and the tank was still dark. The two small ones if I had to venture a guess without taking them out, are about 4 inches long, and the large one is about 4 1/2 to 5. I have wondered if the larger one is a female or a C. pyrroghaster.

I plan to post pics soon.

I have a medium gravel and river rock substrate and one aquarium decoration or medium size that is made presumably of clay and paint material.

The water temperature is exactly 70 degrees F.

I will check the pH of the tap water later today when I get back after some errands. I have to pick up my new aquarium plants. They have arrived! Then I can take out the aquarium decoration.:D

Is checking the hardness of the water important?

Thank you,
Critter Mom

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1