Algae, best way to remove them from the ground.

thanks can some one tell me the difference between green water and the algae described above

Green water looks like pea soup! Its hard to see what is in the tank but fish and I presume axolotls thrive in it. It does not smell. The floating algae support daphnia and other small animals. It usually needs very high light levels to maintain the algae and so is rare in indoor tanks away from windows. Some aquarium books recommend it for sick fish. Cyanobacteria/blue green algae are the carpeting layer shown here and have a clinging earthy smell.

I do not think daphnia are an answer to blue green algae. This is not green water. I've put daphnia into a tank with this problem without any change to the green slime. I've got this problem in one tank lightly stocked with fish. I've noted the comments above about the nitrogen/phosphate ratio and my nitrate levels are very low, phosphate a bit high and plant growth poor compared with my other tanks. Increased water changes, more plants and heavier stocking to raise nitrate levels seem indicated. I'm going to remove the fish, move in an axolotl and add watercress which is cheap and available at the local supermarket and for me even cheaper because it is growing vigorously in my main axolotl tank. It will be nice to get rid of this green carpet with a clinging smell which makes me need a shower every time I reach into the tank.
Hi,
I have been a avid tropical fish keeper for 25 years.
I only got my axies in august as a gift from son and daughter.
But i have been a tropical fish breeder for last 25 years.
As stated you need to cut down light,axies need to be kept in semi darkness,eg/to keep cool as uper limit for temp is 16/18 dec.
Over abundance of light will turn water green/so where are your axies kept.
In the wild as they are only have 4 hours min of sunlight a day,hey and that was when thay where in the wild,you cant see them any more,.
The main reason is to many axies for to few plants,
Awell grown aquarium rarely needs any siphoning ,i use snails,a very good filter,with bio medium,eg filtter rate keeps cemicils to the zero.
/ok for all avid people i know you hate this/
well i hope this kind of helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back