Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

algae treatment

martoc

Reaction score
i'bought an algae treatment that contains copper sulphate but i'heard it may be poisonous to axalotls any advice before i use it?:cool:

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
hi, just to say that i'm no expert on the matter but.... i'm sure that copper sulphate is poisonous to humans if congested so i'm guessing that the same could be said for Axolotls. just in case i think you should try to shop around a bit more to find one which definately wont harm your axolotl :)

Abrahm

Reaction score
i'bought an algae treatment that contains copper sulphate but i'heard it may be poisonous to axalotls any advice before i use it?:cool:

I wouldn't use copper compounds with axolotls.

If you're trying to get rid of algae I wouldn't use any kind of petstore remedy. Most are gimicks and don't work well or at all. The easiest and most efficient way to get rid of algae is to try to figure out what is causing it.

Algae begins to grow when the tank has too much potential food in it. Potential food can be uneaten axolotl food that is rotting in the tank, dying or dead plants, too much light, any sunlight that hits the tank or not doing enough water changes.

All of these things can lead to the buildup of nitrogen compounds in the water that are basically algae fertilizers. Look at your husbandry methods and try to change the things that are causing algae growth. Keep your aquarium light off unless you are watching your axolotl. Move your aquarium so sunlight doesn't hit it or block the sunlight. Remove uneaten food immediately and the same with dead plants. If you are doing less than 25% water changes weekly, step it up and try doing more.

You can also add some live plants to the aquarium as they compete with the algae for the same food. You just have to make sure they stay alive and healthy.

Even with these methods you might still have to scrape off the algae you already have. You can either use a razor blade for stubborn stuff or a scrub pad. Do a water change after you scrub off the stuff and do the preventative things I mentioned and algae should become less of a problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1