Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Too many babies!

yellowpebble

Reaction score
I have been keeping my male and female axies in the same tank and they seem to like each other a lot, and are very friendly... but she just keeps laying eggs!

i have been raising her last batch, and they only hatched a few days ago, then last night she laid another few hundred, only 3 weeks later! I am worried the constant egg laying is stressing her. Should i separate them for a few months to let her recover?

also I will post eggs to any ausie who would like them, i can’t face destroying them if anyone out there would give them a good home.

memojo1979

Reaction score
DEFINATELY seperate them - if she produces too many eggs too quickly, her body won't have time to replenish it's balance before pouring all the best nutrients + minerals into the next batch of eggs!

Quoted from axolotl.org -
"A female axolotl can lay in excess of 1000 eggs. Producing so many eggs is a strain on the animal's metabolism, and the body prioritises production of eggs over body growth while the animal is in conditions suitable for breeding. Since females may breed several times each year, as soon as the first batch of eggs are laid, the body attempts to produce new eggs to replace those that have been laid. Female axolotls may fall ill at this point unless due care is taken, and for a female that is still growing in length, the strain is increased. For the same reason, females that have recently bred should be kept away from males for at least a month, preferably two or three, in order for them to recover."

memojo1979

Reaction score
That quote is taken from a section about breeding from female axies before they get to the recommended age, but the bulk of it (not the size / age aspect so much) applies universally ;)

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
I hope they don't get too lonely when you separate them.. I have a girl and two boys atm but my girl is not yet mature so I've not had to worry about that just yet..

As far as separating different sexes go.. is it better to have eg. 3 males in 1 tank. 1 female in the other? or say 2 in each so they have company?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1