Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First feeding day today...Wildtype, Melanoid??

axolotl lvr

Reaction score
I have 9 babies and today was their first feeding day on brine shrimp ;)

I noticed right away the wildtypes (green and black speckles) I thought there was about 5 of them however looking more closely I have noticed 2 that look different, Ive never seen a melonoid hatchling before but two are a lil different..

The first one you hopefully will be able to see in the pic is like a dark grey solid.. and a weird speck of orange is inbetween his eyes, ( its either a true spec of orange or a bbs stuck to its head lol)

the other one looks just the same but no spec.. I also have some albino or golden albino babies as well..

Just wanted to know if you think these are melanoid?? Its the middle one ;)

Thanks so much!!:D

Attachments

• mel.jpg
    mel.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 564

Mycenaean

Reaction score
Does anyone have tips for identifying melanoids? I cannot see the difference between the two in the photo (my eyes don't see colors correctly). I'm trying to figure out if I have any melanoids, I just assumed they were all wild type.

axolotl lvr

Reaction score
the wildtype is usually a green color with speckles of black.. light on the head with noticable specs or dot on the body.. a melanoid if i have some are like a gray solid color both have black eyes. ;)

Smdee

Reaction score
I can see a difference, but I have no idea. Congrats on your larva though! So cute :D

axolotl lvr

Reaction score
Thanks Staci!! I loooove the lil babies they are so cute!!! Its going to be hard to find homes.. Ill want to keep em all lol... Ill keep this thread updated with weekly pics.. this one that i think is a melanoid is amazing looking.. It has this strange orange dot on its head lol.. so pretty!! Im excited to see how they look in a few weeks.. there is four albino and or golden albinos too.. i love em!!

Mycenaean

Reaction score
Oh wow.... so that means my father axolotl is melanoid, he's like as close to black as you can get.

He looks like the one on the left, which apparently is melanoid.
melanoid_and_wildtype_females_1.jpg

I guess that makes sense, because melanin is the stuff that's produced more highly darker skinned people. I should know that!

michel3171

Reaction score
Very nice looking Axolotls! I guess they are in a temporarily holding container, not their actual home? Or does the picture make the container look small?

melfly

Reaction score
If you shine a torch near the babies you should beable to see their eyes shining.

If all of their eyes shine, you dont have any melanoid babies.

Non melanoid will have a shiney iris

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1