Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gill and eating problems. help!

L

lee

could any one help me i have 3 axolotls and two of them aint eating propley iv also nottest on the both of them there fethers are coming away from there gills im realy worried about them they always used to eat alot there were little pigs but now not eating nothing iv tryed feading them blood worm to day one eat it and the other just turned away they aint eat proply for a week now should i be worried they look happy them stay still at times and swim around so i recon there happy and gave the tank a good clean today 50% waterchange i clean there tank out regaler 2 or3 times a week. pleases help why are they losing there gills and not eating proply am i doing some thin wrong.

heihei

Reaction score
Have you tested their water for ammonia/nitrite and nitrate? Are any of these the parents/possible parents of the many eggs/baby axies you now have? If they happen to be the parents, more so mother in particular, she/they be stressed after egg laying, if its their first batch of eggs. Can usually take a mother axie a couple of months to recover from egg laying if its first time and she's not fully mature (can take till 18months) and in some cases to be on safe side the male should be separated in case they leave more spermataphore and she picks it up and ends up fertilsing and laying more eggs within a short period of time.

Do you always do a 50% waterchange 2/3 times a week? Just that it may be better to do 20-30% rather than 50% 3 times a week.

L

lee

oh no i dont dont do a 50% water change every time only today just to see if that would help only do 20% water change 2 or 3 times a week im really worried i dont want them to die i love them so much.so if i seperate them how long do they need to be separated for we are going to take some water into the pet shop tomoro and get it checked there could you tell me wot the ammonia nitrite and nitrites readings are suposed to be for my axolotls is this a common problem and yes they are the parents of all the babies.

L

lee

reo and freckles looks happier today i think there doing ok but still gona get a test kit today to check the water quality.thanks for the help.

L

lee

did a water change on all our axies and all readings seem good, all of our kids seem happy and are alot better, thanks every1 for your support and advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!