Brown algae harmful?

M

mary

Hi there, just wondering if brown algae is harmful in any way to my axies. I think it is present because of light and warmth on that side of the tank. i would like to remove it but don't know how as it flakes off and makes such a mess. We have a magnetic cleaner thingy but i don't know how that could do the job without a mess either.

Try scraping and sucking with the turkey baster simultaneously. It's not harmful, but is ugly.

Some algae-mess will always get loose in the water, but the filter should filter it out. Sometimes I use my hand with a paper towel to clean algae. I try to pull out as much on the towel as I can and throw it away.

thanks- i er haven't got a filter yet- i sure do need one- no matter how much hoovering i do with my precious turkey baster there is always so much "stuff" still in the tank. When i put a top-up of fresh water in - even gently- everything gets stirred up and it looks like one of those christmas snow ornaments that you shake!!

Mary, try a siphon for weekly water changes. This will get out a lot of the gunk in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back