Feather parts on gill are getting smaller?

K

karrie

Ok here the problem. I have had problems in the past with my axie (cracker). Complet wrong set up. With you guys to help me all is good now. He's gills grew back better than when I first got him. The feather part seems to shrinking now! I tested the its fine. He eating good. Temp. is 65-68 deg. Dose not have fungus. Any help would be great.

As I was feeding him I notice that he's tail looks a little red.

Karrie, the feathery bits will probably be smaller in a higher oxygen environment. Since the temperature is low, the water will hold more oxygen, so his gills will probably shrink.

As for the tail, when they are active, there's more blood flowing, and the gills and tails tend to turn a bit redder. If it goes away, and doesn't look inflammed, it's probably normal.

I added some new live plants could that be putting more oxygen in the water? I don't really care if his gills are small. As long as he's ok, and I know whats going on.

ah....I always thought that the axie's gills will becomes bigger and well-developed if the oxygen's enough in the water.

Nope. They'll be smaller. If there is more oxygen available, they need less surface area (gills) to acquire the needed oxygen.

Karrie, it sounds normal to me. Unless you see drastic changes, or signs of fungus, I wouldn't worry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back