Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Algae

N

norman

anybody know what kind of algae eater i can keep in same tank with my axolotls

J

jennifer

Small snails are OK. In my opinion, the only other kind of algae "eater" that is 100% safe, and tolerates the cold temperature of axies, is this kind:
http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/ordering/cleaning_scrub_pads.htm
Seriously, there is no fish in the world that will really keep the tank clean of algae. One way or another, you have to get your hands in there and do it yourself. Be sure to do frequent partial water changes, as nutrient build-up feeds algae. Other suggestions here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml

A

anna

I once bought a few snails from a pet store for a fish tank I had. About 2 weeks after purchasing them, I looked in my tank and my fish were floating at the top. They all had red looking burnt off mouths. I looked on the side of my tanks, and my snails were secreting some sort of toxic goo in cocoon like deposits.

I now am too nervous to buy snails again! I'm sure whatever happened was pretty rare, but disturbed me none the less!

Have you tried using those magnetic things that stick to the glass? They work quite well!

A

amber

Hillstream loaches are wonderful at cleaning algae, and like the cool temperatures - however they have a nasty habit of being eaten. I found that out the hard way I'm sad to say.

And NEVER put Plecos in with 'Lotls - they fight nasty. My friend dicovered quite by accident.

N

norman

nah not going to do anything to endanger my buddies. cuttest pets i have seen , so will do by hand

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1