Curled gill

A

anna

I noticed when I got my newest axie that one of his gill stalks is curled backwards at the end. It seems fine but I was just wondering if this is a normal thing? If not, wat does it mean? Just want to make sure its not a sign of stress or illness.

backwards as in towards its tail? i have one that has a kink in one gill right at the end. theres a pic on www.axolotl.org of a stressed axie with its gills fowards but if its not that then i wouldnt worry too much, lots of funny axie gills around
happy.gif

my axie has a weird gill but he seems ok his tank mate was a bit agressive so he only has half a gill at the moment

Yeah, towards its tail. Its pretty much just bent right over at the end, almost pointing directly downwards. It seems fine in every other way and it has a huge appetite. I think its a girl. She is very outgoing and stuff so u guys are probably right and its just a quirk of her's. Thanx.
happy.gif
Seen the stressed axie pic and she only looks like that when im changing her water but she settles pretty quickly when im done. Im keeping an eye on her ne way as she is in quarantine right now but she should be right. Thanx again for the help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back