Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

P. chinensis and P. hongkongensis eggs

audrey

Reaction score
Well this past week has brought about some new developments with the Paramesotrition.
One of my female chinensis started laying a few days ago. She is always kind of secretive so I was searching for her to feed her and found eggs in the plants. I found 10 at first and 7 of them were obvious duds but the others were good. She has laid more since then that look better so hopefully she has it figured out now. I took what I could find out since it seems the male has decided they look like an interesting snack.

This morning I checked and found hongkongensis eggs as well. She has started laying in a really funny place! With all the plants in the tank, she goes for the little floating flower thing!

So here are a few pics of the chinensis tank - female laying eggs, egg on a plant, eggs....
And then some of the hongkongensis too - tank, eggs, female

Attachments

• dec 30ndagain 009.jpg
    dec 30ndagain 009.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,041
  • dec 30nd 015.jpg
    dec 30nd 015.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 539
  • dec 30nd 016.jpg
    dec 30nd 016.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 464
  • dec 30nd 020.jpg
    dec 30nd 020.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 541
  • dec 30ndagain 005.jpg
    dec 30ndagain 005.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 701
  • dec 30ndagain 008.jpg
    dec 30ndagain 008.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 482
  • dec 30ndagain 020.jpg
    dec 30ndagain 020.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 468

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
That's great news Audrey, congrats! I hope all goes well and that there is more on the way! That setup looks good, I bet the newts are very happy.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Fantastic, Audrey! Good luck with rearing them. This seems very late for Paramesotriton; mine (aff. fuzhongensis) always started laying in the late autumn; perhaps there is interspecific variation in egg laying.

louise

Reaction score
Well done Audrey! Good luck with them. My hongkongensis haven't started laying yet, it's usually around the second week in January before they go.

PereJosa

Reaction score
Hi

Congratulations!! I have P.chinensis, and it's good for me see you breed this newt!!!!!

Adeu !!

(Excuse me for my bad english..)

Jake

Reaction score
Congratulations Audrey! The newts and eggs look great. Keep us updated.

freves

Reaction score
I want to add my congratulations as well Audrey. I have 2.1 and the tail of the dominate male has been darkening lately however so far the female seems to show no interest. Did you cool them down prior to this?
Chip

troutnerd

Reaction score
It is interesting to me that my hongkongensis also got into breeding mode in January. Apparently this falls within the September - March breeding time in China. Seems nature is able to figure it out in some of the most unnatural conditions! My tank is in my basement study with no natural light. The basement does cool down a lot however,which probably helps trigger breeding.

GE

louise

Reaction score
My females have started laying really late this year, beginning last week.

louise

Reaction score
I've left all the eggs in for the parents to eat this year. I still have juveniles from the past two years breedings, and haven't the time this year to devote to raising lots of larvae.

audrey

Reaction score
Update:
Well the hongkongs are certainly taking their sweet time to hatch - some have hatched with all four legs!
The chinensis are also hatching nicely and a second female has started laying eggs. Here is a pic of each of the egg/larvae tanks.

Attachments

• newts 3-8-09 005.jpg
    newts 3-8-09 005.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 2,256
  • newts 3-8-09 006.jpg
    newts 3-8-09 006.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 3,656
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1