Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

100% water change?

larn

Reaction score
I have 3 baby axolotls, they are inside medium sized plastic boxs (like a sandwich box) each has a real plant inside. I feed them daily and remove their waste with a pipette.

I have been doing 100% water changes every 2 to 3 days, is this OK or should i leave some of the water there?

when they are old enough i will be moving them into a big tank and i suppose i will only be doing 20% water changes and will have the tank cycled

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That sounds about right. I usually ended up doing about 80% water changes every other day, just because of the method I used to change the water.

Good luck with the babies :)

larn

Reaction score
Also i have been putting a few drop of amo lock in there too, hope that is OK (ammonia detoxifyer)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's not necessary. The whole point of doing water changes is to remove the ammonia. All you need to use is a simple dechlorinator.

larn

Reaction score
I mean to say i put ammo lock in about a day later just to convert any ammonia build up to less harmful substance, but maybe you are right to not bother since i'm frequently changing the water.

callina

Reaction score
instead of using a drop ammo lock the next day, you can do a partial water change. It might be enough when you remove the waste and some water with a pipette and fill up the removed water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1