Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2 questions about food

pavett1990

Reaction score
First of all I have a turtle and I have Dry food for him, Now in this food there is shrimp. Is this suitable for axolotl to eat?
Here are the ingredients

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357252632.575910.jpg

Secondly I've had a look at some different types of food for them And I've seen on you that you could feed the mealworm Now I was in pound land today And found a box of dried mealworm Is this suitable for the axolotl?

Much appreciated thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kimo

Reaction score
I feed mine fresh earthworms or I got some proper pellets from ebay just search Axolotls food. I also use frozen bloodworn that I get from the pet shop. most aquatic shops will have things like that. Dont feed them dried mealworms. there very fatty & not good for them & dried things dont have any nutrients.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
I don't recommend turtle food for axolotls. Different food sources are usually very readily available such as bloodworm, soft trout/salmon pellets and carnivore pellets. Earthworms make a great staple if you can get hold of them.

pavett1990

Reaction score
1 more question haha.. How do you know whether your lottie is still hungry or over eating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kimo

Reaction score
At 1st i think i was over feeding mine as i was giving them food everyday. I go by the size of there guts. I tend to feed them every 2 days & they poop fine.
I give them 1 worm each by hand so I know each one is getting the same amount of food.
A good way to tell is look at them from above. If there at a good weight there belly should sort of be in line with there heads if that makes sense. If there under fed there heads will look huge compared to there body

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!