Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: 3 new babies!

gwenlynn

Reaction score
I got my first 3 axolotls today! 1 golden albino, 1 leucistic and 1 wild. So happy to welcome these guys home. They are almost 3 months old.

Attachments

• 20130301_205554.jpg
    20130301_205554.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 387
  • 20130301_204935.jpg
    20130301_204935.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 318
  • 20130301_204941.jpg
    20130301_204941.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 338

wandering

Reaction score
Congratulations! You're off to the best start with all the knowledge available here. You do realise that you will have to post regular updates of your little family? :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

FX1C

Reaction score
They're soooooooo cute :D

Totally agree with above that weekly updates with lots of pics are mandatory ;) or more often if you likey!

The information you'll find on here will help them grow big & healthy :)

<3 >o_o< <3

gwenlynn

Reaction score
Thanks to both you. I am so proud of my new little guys. And I agree this site is amazing. I've been following it for a few months now ever since I found out that I was going to be getting an axolotl, just one but ended up with three. I couldn't decide which ones to bring home lol.

And Nikki I have to tell you that you have a beautiful family of axies!

gwenlynn

Reaction score
So my little ones are doing well. All are getting back legs, with golden already developing toes!
I added a new member to the family today. A new golden, but she is much bigger than the babies. Right now she is hanging out in a big Tupper ware container while I finish decorating her new home (and wait for the pesky sand to settle).
uploadfromtaptalk1363485128081.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363485190683.jpguploadfromtaptalk1363485254008.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363485295212.jpguploadfromtaptalk1363485375516.jpg
Some recent pics of the little ones and the new addition.

Still contemplating names for them. Have a few ideas running around my head.
Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

gwenlynn

Reaction score
I have a quick question and any advice would be great.

My boyfriend and I went to a nearby ravine and gathered an assortment of rocks (all quite bigger than the axies :) ) and I just wondered if anyone had any advice as to how I should go about sterilizing them before placing them in the tank.

I plan on boiling as that is what most of my research has suggested, but if anyone has any other ideas/suggestions, I am open to hear them as I don't want to do anything to hurt the axies or upset the tank system.

Thanks for any and all help!

tigmades

Reaction score
Boiling is definitely a great idea, as most bacteria cannot survive the high temperatures. If you wanted to be extra safe, you can even wash them with vinegar - I use it to clean aquariums before using them, so I know it's safe as long as you rinse it off well. So vinegar + boiling, but I think you'd be just fine with the boiling part. Vinegar could work by itself, too, though. I use it for cleaning decorations as well, and no problems.
Just make sure RINSE VERY WELL! :)

gwenlynn

Reaction score
Boiling is definitely a great idea, as most bacteria cannot survive the high temperatures. If you wanted to be extra safe, you can even wash them with vinegar - I use it to clean aquariums before using them, so I know it's safe as long as you rinse it off well. So vinegar + boiling, but I think you'd be just fine with the boiling part. Vinegar could work by itself, too, though. I use it for cleaning decorations as well, and no problems.
Just make sure RINSE VERY WELL! :)

Thanks for that extra tidbit.
Always good to get advice from those with experience :)

shannamarie

Reaction score
ooh gwen they look sp good! the goldens almost as big as trooper now! and I already miss the big golden :( she looks happy though!

gwenlynn

Reaction score
ooh gwen they look sp good! the goldens almost as big as trooper now! and I already miss the big golden :( she looks happy though!

Aww thanks Shanna. I know I am so impressed with the little guys growth.

Oh and the babies have started swimming to the top to greet me whenever I come by the container. I think they just want food but it is so adorable.:D

Once I have the big girl's tank set up I will post some photos for you and everyone to see.

gwenlynn

Reaction score
So I have finally moved my big golden girl to her new home. She has spent her day exploring and I can see all her little tracks along the sand :D

Now I am watching her swim around and she really seems to be enjoying her new home.

I have also moved my 2 bigger juvies into a 10g tank, but only partially filled so that they have more room and my littlest juvie is in it's own space until it gets a little bigger

Here are some pictures
uploadfromtaptalk1363975711411.jpg
My little wild thinks he is king of the mountain. I have lowered the water a little more as they were both having some issues getting to the bottom of the tank.

uploadfromtaptalk1363975781288.jpg
The little golden didn't want to come out and play

uploadfromtaptalk1363975623235.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363975639818.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363975639818.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 266
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363975657226.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363975657226.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 251

FX1C

Reaction score
Yay for updates! :D

Nawwww the little ones are growing so fast :) looking fantastic!

You'll soon have your own gang of lotls filling up the big tank :)

I love the rings - they're just what I was looking for & couldn't find (so I made them out of moss) I found putting the rings near a corner helps them easily climb to the surface to beg for food & just hang out near the top :)

<3 >o_o< <3

gwenlynn

Reaction score
Yay for updates! :D

Nawwww the little ones are growing so fast :) looking fantastic!

You'll soon have your own gang of lotls filling up the big tank :)

I love the rings - they're just what I was looking for & couldn't find (so I made them out of moss) I found putting the rings near a corner helps them easily climb to the surface to beg for food & just hang out near the top :)

<3 >o_o< <3

I can't wait for the little ones to get bigger so they can provide my big girl with some company.

On the other hand I think she loves having all that space to herself. She is my own personal Olympic swimmer. She loves to just swim laps.

And putting the rings near the corner sounds like a good idea, I may give it a shot and see how she likes it.

Thanks Nikki, I really am so excited to watch my little family play and grow!

gwenlynn

Reaction score
So it's been a little while since I posted pictures and now my babies all have 4 legs and my golden juvie is quickly out growing his siblings.

My bigger golden has been enjoying her new tank, and finally started using the ledge I built for her

uploadfromtaptalk1366126826790.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1366126844420.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1366126863570.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1366126874410.jpg

HowToAxolotl

Reaction score
WOW those are some great pictures! You're so lucky to have gotten three different types all at the same time! I am planning to get my first axolotls soon, but I am not sure where I should get them from. Do you have any suggestions? (I am located in PA near Philadelphia)

Awesome little family you have going :] How big it the tank that you have?

gwenlynn

Reaction score
WOW those are some great pictures! You're so lucky to have gotten three different types all at the same time! I am planning to get my first axolotls soon, but I am not sure where I should get them from. Do you have any suggestions? (I am located in PA near Philadelphia)

Awesome little family you have going :] How big it the tank that you have?

I am actually fairly new to the axolotl world and don't know where you would find axolotls in PA. As for the tank I have a 55 gallon.

I got lucky with mine, a friend's had babies and gave me the three little ones and later the adult.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!