Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Laoensis juvs and set up

Davo

Reaction score
After being contacted by Newquay zoo in Cornwall i decided to let them have the group. They have 2 already and want to set up a breeding programmme for Laoensis.
Two of the keepers came up to my house and were very pleased with the Laoensis.
After keeping them for 12 months they were not far off going aquatic and were just becoming real nice chunky newts.

At least when we go on holiday to Cornwall we can pop in and see how they are doing!

NathanKS

Reaction score
If anyone is still following this, I have successfully begun reintroducing Laoensis to the water from their terrestrial form. They wont go back in at 70f from my observations. at 68 they chilled at the water edge on driftwood. At 66 they have all mostly returned fully to the water or are underwater on the driftwood near the surface.

they also seem to LOVE the RCS that got transferred to their tank when i pulled java moss to set it up.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like a seasonal trigger, maybe so they return to the water when dissolved oxygen levels are at their highest?

NathanKS

Reaction score
It sounds like a seasonal trigger, maybe so they return to the water when dissolved oxygen levels are at their highest?

I believe it is a seasonal trigger as well.

To get them to breed I dropped the water in half and chilled it so a very similar mechanism for them it seems.

velasco13000

Reaction score
i have been trying to get mine to go into the water but he wont. I have not seen laos offered here in a while. Did anybody breed them successfully??

velasco13000

Reaction score
I just got a group of 10 small individuals . How big of a tank do you guys recommend? And what substrate. I was thinking of copying the tub method but don't want there to be any risk of them drowning.

velasco13000

Reaction score
How does this set up look?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 514

paul_b

Reaction score
AW: Laoensis juvs and set up

The set up looks good!

... and new good news:
the F3 generation is just developing.
My F2 Group (1,3, Age of 4 years) has its first fertile eggs!
Paul

joshfrogz72

Reaction score
hi guys i just saw some of these guys for sale they are still young 4 months old after larval stage wondering what is the going price for these guys thanks josh

velasco13000

Reaction score
The asking price I am not so sure but they run like 100 dollars which I think is super expensive.. There are some for 150 and they are aquatic already being offered. These guys are really slow growers. In this species does only the male have color on the tail like in other species? I'm trying to sex mines. What does everyone think about the prices?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 353

NathanKS

Reaction score
i have been trying to get mine to go into the water but he wont. I have not seen laos offered here in a while. Did anybody breed them successfully??

I had great sucess getting my 2012 and 2013 hatchlings into the water by adding in a lot of anubis plants and raising the water on them. that said i have 3 2013's that still refuse to go aquatic, much to my irking.

those are awesome! anyone in the states breed or sell these?
No, Not really
The asking price I am not so sure but they run like 100 dollars which I think is super expensive.. There are some for 150 and they are aquatic already being offered. These guys are really slow growers. In this species does only the male have color on the tail like in other species? I'm trying to sex mines. What does everyone think about the prices?

Given the supply of them, Its really a sellers market. All about what the buyer is willing to pay. I know from our discussions, and in the laotriton working group on FB, that there might be fewer than 30 adult animals in the states currently. I know I personally am willing to pay more than double the price i stupidly sold some 2012's at.

paul_b

Reaction score
breeding in the third generation

... the first of my F3 breeding reached metamorphosis.
The WC, F1 and F2 breed successful.
Paul

Attachments

• 17135445752_42221208ec_b.jpg
    17135445752_42221208ec_b.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 324
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1