Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

PLEASE ADVISE - Axolotl aggression

JoeysAxies

Reaction score
I have four Axolotls in a very large tank. 2 wildtypes male and female 1 golden albino believed to be female and 1 copper (gender unknown approx 8months old). On the 1st of jan this year I started the new year with 100s of eggs from my wildtype female and Dad also wildtype. It was a surprise but have 150 larvea now doing well.
I have noticed since my wildtype laid her eggs my copper has become very aggressive towards the others and attacks any of them that go near him/her. (Even though the copper is neither Mum or Dad) it is almost like the whole dynamic of the tank has changed since 2 of my wildtypes bred. Before the eggs I never once seen any aggression from my copper and confused as to why it is happening now.
Is this normal behaviour? It is getting to a point now where I will need to separate them or re home the copper. I have seen him/her latch on to my goldens leg bite their tails etc. It’s horrid to watch. This aggression is happening continuously!!
Any advice or an explanation for this behaviour would be helpful.

Attachments

• A6F1EB50-0F7D-408B-94C5-F2283C0D01DE.jpg
    A6F1EB50-0F7D-408B-94C5-F2283C0D01DE.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 617

Eternie

Reaction score
I would say you should separate the Copper from the others then. You can get tank separators and put it in the tank until you can get a new tank running and cycled if thats what you would prefer to do. I wouldn't rehome it unless its absolutely necessary, its really hard to give up one of your babies even if they are being bullies.

JoeysAxies

Reaction score
I really don’t want to rehome Speckles. Just really confused as to why this has started happening. Not only does he/she attack the others when they come near but Speckles will go looking for them and chase after them (when I mean chase I mean the Axolotl plod!!)
It has been a crazy month for Axolotls in my house!

Eternie

Reaction score
Oh I believe it ,haha.

I honestly don't have an explanation for why Speckles is acting that way, possibly something happened while you weren't watching them. Axolotls are silly creatures. For now I would say to separate Speckles from the others, its a possibility that Speckles just doesn't like being with other Lotl's anymore.

I hope everything goes alright with everyone! Hope to hear some about your baby Lotls! :)

JoeysAxies

Reaction score
I week old today!!
My little cherubs...
Wildtype, possibly melanoid and leusistic!!

Speckles is moving out to his/her own tank soon!

Attachments

• 427A3B5A-6869-4FCF-B6D8-5C6D83B38E7A.jpg
    427A3B5A-6869-4FCF-B6D8-5C6D83B38E7A.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 150
  • EEAE8D1E-5D7B-407D-85F9-5C0DA044C66F.jpg
    EEAE8D1E-5D7B-407D-85F9-5C0DA044C66F.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 173

Eternie

Reaction score
Awe! They are so cute! :) I love little baby axolotls, haha.

Thats great! I am sure Speckles is excited about that, haha.

So glad everything is getting better! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1