The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 9th February 2009   #1
TLaw

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 13
Comments: 0
Rep: TLaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Snails Compatible with CFB?

So I wanted to add a bit of diversity to my C. orientalis' tank, so I was thinking of adding some live plants, possibly devil's ivy and maybe some java moss. Are these good choices?

Anyway, I heard somewhere, I think, that mystery snails can be good with newts. Is this true? I heard they would be good at helping to clean the place up a bit. I've got a 10 gallon tank, so how many snails would be good to have? One or more?

TLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009   #2
Will
(oregon newt)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 10
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Snails Compatible with CFB?

Those plants sound like good choices. I'm not sure exactly how many mystery snails you could put in there, but I know that one needs at least 5 gallons.

Old 9th February 2009   #3
xMIDNIGHTx

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: xMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Like Will said the plant selection sounds good. As far as the "mystery snails" go if they are small (like pond snails) they should be fine.

If they are big snails they could smother the newts. I have heard this happen so just be careful.

I have had small pond snails with my newts for months with no ill effects. They do a good job cleaning the algae but mine seem to overpopulate the tank and need constant "up keep".

Mitch

xMIDNIGHTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009   #4
TLaw

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 13
Rep: TLaw is an unknown quantity at this point

What kind of upkeep do snails require? I don't really know much about them. I thought you just stick them in and they vacuum up the place.

TLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009   #5
Nphec

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Nphec is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol so theyre actually called mystery snails? Haha they were a mystery when they first sprouted up in my tank seeing as I had no idea where they came from. And yeah they do seem to reproducing at a good rate every time I look i see more and more. Anyone know the actual name for some of these little snails? They're real small, I wish I could take a pic but theyre almost too small to focus in on.

Nphec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009   #6
Will
(oregon newt)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 10
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information

I believe the mystery snail is actually the apple snail.

Old 11th February 2009   #7
gpd414

Nationality:
Rep: gpd414 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just don't put the snails in with paddletail newts. I just moved my paddletails in a new aquarium that had several red apple snails. Within 5 minutes of them being in, I watched one paddletail break open a snail shell and eat the snail. They have been going nuts for these things. I put some trumpet snails in also and the paddletails love them.

gpd414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009   #8
J
(spendday)

Nationality:
Rep: spendday has given consistently good advice and informationspendday has given consistently good advice and informationspendday has given consistently good advice and information

I have a golden apple snail in with my chinese fire belly newts and i've never had any problems, I have had people repeatedly telling me snail carry parasites though so it might not be such a good idea

spendday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009   #9
Eva
(blueberlin)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

Apple or mystery snails are Ampullariidae (click here or here). I like them because they are pretty and active and good cleaners. With an adequate food suppy, they also grow very quickly. One or two should be enough for a 10-gallon tank, even if they start out small.

As to parasites, snails (and slugs) do not pass parasites onto their offspring and so should be fine if taken from an aquarium (store). Wild caught snails would be more of an issue.

-Eva

Albert Einstein
blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009   #10
Neil Ellis
(natureneil)

Nationality:
Rep: natureneil has started on the right path

The debate over snails has been ranging ever hotter the last few months especially with more exotic and interesting species entering shops.
On the whole they are harmless although some people find them irritating as some species will reproduce prolifically in an aquarium. whilst others will eat all of you plants without supplementary foods. There is a detailed discussion of the pros and cons of snails on www.bombina.co.uk
But in my opinion you cant go wrong with the malaysian sand snails in any aquatic or semi aquatic setup as the prevent substrate compaction, don't harm plants and often eat any left over food and waste including bloodworms etc,which can only be a good thing

natureneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009   #11
Ian Choi
(achiinto)

Nationality:
Rep: achiinto is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgachiinto is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgachiinto is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgachiinto is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgachiinto is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgachiinto is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I think of snails as good food supply for us to breed for the newts. Flash and Fast breeding.

achiinto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cfb, cfb?, compatible, snails