Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls and snails?

Cts

Reaction score
I know you shouldn't keep other species together with axolotls but what about a snail similar to Pomacea bridgesii or 2 in the same tank? Can't see why they would do any harm to each other.

Brie

Reaction score
I saw this article about mixing disasters, if you scroll down theres a picture of an axolotl that tried to swallow a snail.

I was going to get a huge yellow snail that I saw in a shop, there was a tank of them and they were far too large for any thing to eat. Not to mention being so delightfully yellow. Anyway, I found out they would chow down on the plants in my tank and I bailed on the idea. My tank is heavily planted and I put some time and cash into making it that way.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Cts,

I kept Pomacea bridgesii (apple snails) in my axolotl tanks and they grew quickly and were great little cleaners. Unfortunately, I now know that they are tropical snails and prefer warmer temperatures than what is appropriate for axolotls. The snails lived only one year instead of their more natural lifespan of four years.

I have bladder snails and ramshorn snails in my tanks now. They are much smaller than apple snails but prolific breeders. Despite that, however, the axolotls eat them faster than they can reproduce, so that I breed the snails in my fish tank and transfer them to the axolotl tanks as cleaners and food.

-Eva

kitkat

Reaction score
I had some golden apple snails with mine.. they did well for a while and then my axy's sort of sucked them out to eat them. I am still not sure how, but they ate everything and anything they could get tehir moths on.. and if it was big but soft enough to slup, it too went down the mouth. I got an algae eater which was a good addition, and added some hiding places in the tank for it. I also added guppies so the axy ate those and left my algae eater be.. he's going on 18 months old now (the algae eater)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1